Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro, which originally came with SATA drives, however I later fitted a PCI card with an SSD for the boot drive with the OS. This shows up as an external hard drive on the desktop, though it works normally in practice. I'm just wondering if there will be any issues switching to APFS using a PCI based drive like this? I imagine somebody must have tested this.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I have software I need for work that is not yet compatible with High Sierra. I've looked around but not seen any mention from Apple about APFS when used on a PCI based SSD.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have software I need for work that is not yet compatible with High Sierra. I've looked around but not seen any mention from Apple about APFS when used on a PCI based SSD.

1) All new Mac's SSD are PCIe base.

2) It's been tested, but the post is at the Mac Pro forum, not here. AFAIK, no specific issue.

3) If that's your working machine, you better run HS with HFS+ initially (even you can run HS). From my personal test, as long as the system still mixed with SSD and HDD, the installed won't perform the auto conversion.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
UK
Thank you, that's useful feedback. I currently have the OS and user library on the SSD, but then store images, videos and other heavy data on on internal SATA drives. I use sym links in a few cases, so the iMovie and iTunes libraries are stored on SATA drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.