APFS upgrade now or can you do it later?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by bradhs, Jun 5, 2017.

1. bradhs macrumors member

When installing macOS High Sierra 10.13 you're given the option to upgrade APFS I assume. Can I skip this and do it after 10.13 successfully installs?

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I'm not even given the option on new Mac hardware

3. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Sure

5. bradhs thread starter macrumors member

How long does the update take? Also, When installing macOS High Sierra 10.13 you're given the option to upgrade APFS I assume. Can I skip this and do it after 10.13 successfully installs?

6. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That's right. Also to @bradhs, I recall someone on here saying they were able to switch over after installation through Disk Utility in the Recovery OS. I have not confirmed this myself however as I opted for Apple File System at install time.

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Im not being shown the APFS conversion option. Maybe because I have FileVault enabled, but then I don't see the option even for external install.

9. bradhs thread starter macrumors member

According to release notes you cannot enable FileVault after upgrading. They also state that if you want FileVault, then enable it before upgrading. Now that's interesting... I use FileVault so I guess it's safe to upgrade with FileVault enabled.

10. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I mean I have FileVault enabled before install but I installed HS on an external empty drive and still no option for APFS.

11. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

What are your options if you already converted to APFS? No going back to HFS+? Can you reformat and then restore from TimeMachine?

12. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I have no option for APFS anywhere to be found on my rMBP with Touchbar.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    Jesus, perhaps I need another cup of tea this morning. When installing the BETA seed/access tool I received macOS 10.12.6 BETA automatically through Mac App Store as macOS High Sierra was downloading.. So my machine automatically rebooted and here I thought it was High Sierra auto installing, but it was only 10.12.6 BETA2. No wonder why I have no option for APFS...

13. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I am also interested in finding out about existing HFS+ Time Machine backups and how they work in High Sierra with APFS,

14. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

I hope they keep APFS optional in the final release. I read nothing but horror stories from the brave people who installed the beta.

I also wonder if it makes sense to convert external drives as well to APFS ? Do they offer that option at all or can only the internal drive(s) be converted to APFS on the fly during install ?

15. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Thanks.....I was wondering the same thing and guess what? I have 10.12.6 too.....man now i have to install it again lol

16. prostetnic macrumors newbie

prostetnic

so there has not actually been an answer to @bradhs ' question. You can convert an hfs volume to apfs even after install, but I think right now this is only possible via command line, via the tool apfs_hfs_convert. Have not tried it yet though.

Code:
    zahpod:~ david$ apfs_hfs_convert
    Usage: apfs_hfs_convert [-e] [-v] [-i] [-S <path>] [-n] [-F n] [-M <mount_path>] [-o <option>] [--no-warning] <device_path>
        -e    Estimate apfs metadata size.
        -v    Enable verbose output.
        -i    Convert case-insensitive HFS volumes to case-insensitive APFS volumes.
        -S <path>
              Print statistics and information about the converson to the given <path>.
        -n    Don't finalize conversion (dry run).  Volume remains HFS.
        -f    Force conversion if volume is dirty.
        -F n  Slice #n (0-based) should be fixed size.
        -M <mount_path>
              Use the given path to mount APFS during conversion.
        -o <nx_or_apfs_format_options>
              Format options passed through to nx_format and apfs_newfs.
        --no-warning
              Do not warn about APFS being pre-release technology, nor wait for user acknowledgement.
        --watchdog=<seconds>
              Conversion will abort after <seconds> seconds.  Default is 600 seconds for dry run, unlimited otherwise.

17. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I checked and you can do this through Disk Utility. It will be grayed-out/unavailable on your boot partition though, hence why booting into the Recovery OS or a secondary install of High Sierra is necessary.
    Convert-to-APFS.png

18. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

In some cases, failure to bless may be negligible.

A converted volume that does not appear in Startup Manager might – eventually – appear and be bootable. https://framasphere.org/posts/3363481#065a41e03110013574452a0000053625 | discussion

19. garlicbread24 macrumors member

garlicbread24

im shocked some of you think its bad... i have converted to APFS and not only have there been no issues with my machine but the battery is running longer...

20. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I have a Mac pro 2013, and on it I installed the Dev Beta. On the SSD I run macOS 10.13, and I did not select APFS when I upgraded, and I have a Bootcamp partion with Win10. If I boot into the Recovery partition, and I convert my macOS partition to APFS, will that affect my Bootcamp installation?