APFS with third party SSD storage

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Abazigal, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am currently using a 2012 MBA, and I bought a third party SSD Drive from Jetdrive to swap out (the base model only came with 64gb of storage).

Does anyone know if this will be compatible with APFS, or if the formatting only works with "Apple-approved" SSDs?

2. robert1998 macrumors regular

robert1998

I don't think other SSDs have something different from Apple SSDs, so I think you should give a try...

3. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

There have been cases of users successfully installing APFS on SSDs that were not originally installed by Apple. Surprisingly enough, many users with their own fusion drive solutions have reported better results than with people who use Apple-configured fusion drives.

However, YMMV.

4. foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

There's no restrictions on what disks can use and hold an APFS container, although the HFS+ conversion tool built in to the macOS Installer may only handle certain scenarios.

5. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I have a jet drive on my MacBook Pro. Upgrading failed. I don't know if it was the conversion to APFS or not. Fresh install worked fine though. It even enabled TRIM for me.

6. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Did trim enable itself, or did you use "sudo trimforce enable"

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

As far as I understand these tech sheets, if you can have hfs+ on it, and it's a modern drive, there's no reason if you have a bootable disk, that it can have APFS

8. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I think you mean "there is no reason.... that it can NOT have.....APFS..."

9. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

eh.. yeah. :3

10. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Before, I used trimforce enable. That failed during conversion, but ran fine after the installer gave up. (EDIT: I forgot it was running Sierra fine off an SSD enclosure. The internal one was corrupted). I wiped the SSD clean and installed the beta and when I went to check, trim was already turned on.