APFS with third party SSD storage

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am currently using a 2012 MBA, and I bought a third party SSD Drive from Jetdrive to swap out (the base model only came with 64gb of storage).

Does anyone know if this will be compatible with APFS, or if the formatting only works with "Apple-approved" SSDs?

Reactions: FatalFallacy

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
I don't think other SSDs have something different from Apple SSDs, so I think you should give a try...

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
There have been cases of users successfully installing APFS on SSDs that were not originally installed by Apple. Surprisingly enough, many users with their own fusion drive solutions have reported better results than with people who use Apple-configured fusion drives.

However, YMMV.

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
I am currently using a 2012 MBA, and I bought a third party SSD Drive from Jetdrive to swap out (the base model only came with 64gb of storage).

Does anyone know if this will be compatible with APFS, or if the formatting only works with "Apple-approved" SSDs?
There's no restrictions on what disks can use and hold an APFS container, although the HFS+ conversion tool built in to the macOS Installer may only handle certain scenarios.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I have a jet drive on my MacBook Pro. Upgrading failed. I don't know if it was the conversion to APFS or not. Fresh install worked fine though. It even enabled TRIM for me.

mikecwest

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2013
I have a jet drive on my MacBook Pro. Upgrading failed. I don't know if it was the conversion to APFS or not. Fresh install worked fine though. It even enabled TRIM for me.
Did trim enable itself, or did you use "sudo trimforce enable"

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
As far as I understand these tech sheets, if you can have hfs+ on it, and it's a modern drive, there's no reason if you have a bootable disk, that it can have APFS

mikecwest

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2013
As far as I understand these tech sheets, if you can have hfs+ on it, and it's a modern drive, there's no reason if you have a bootable disk, that it can have APFS
I think you mean "there is no reason.... that it can NOT have.....APFS..."

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Before, I used trimforce enable. That failed during conversion, but ran fine after the installer gave up. (EDIT: I forgot it was running Sierra fine off an SSD enclosure. The internal one was corrupted). I wiped the SSD clean and installed the beta and when I went to check, trim was already turned on.