Aplication for maintenance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pralexis, Mar 26, 2012.

1. pralexis macrumors newbie

pralexis

Hello all,
    I am a new member on this forum. I have a iMac 2011.
    What programs do you recommend for maintenance Mac OS X?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. elmo151 Guest

I use:

ClamXaV
    AppDelete
    Onyx
    Tinker Tool
    Lion Cache Cleaner
    and Cocktail

4. pralexis thread starter macrumors newbie

pralexis

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Absolutely not recommended. Stay away from these apps, as they can cause more harm than good.

6. simsaladimbamba

Keep away from MacKeeper, it is **** and can damage your Mac more than it does good. Seriously, Mac OS X is NOT Windows and you don't need maintenance apps. You should forget about the Windows way of staying "clean" and just use your Mac and use some common sense.
    I have run my Macs since 2004 without maintenance and most problems can be solved via a simple www search or asking here.

PS: And maybe have a read at those links you got linked to, they are not for show, they contain actual information.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Check your DNS settings by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.
    In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    As already stated, clearing caches can degrade performance, not improve it. Read my other post and the links provided.

8. pralexis thread starter macrumors newbie

pralexis

9. elmo151 Guest

perfection is not to be found this side of heaven

I expect you would not be in favor of frequent backups

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know who you're addressing your post to, but no one said anything about perfection or backups. Regular backups are always recommended. The frequency depends on the user and the files involved.

11. simsaladimbamba

What do frequent backups have to do with "cleaning" applications?
    If you backup properly, Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper!, then there is really no need for "cleaning" apps.

Btw, my two Macs get cloned once a day. That is enough for me. And if an error occurs that is unrepairable, even with MacKeeper and Sophos and Intego and CleanMyMac and all the other ignorance-ware out there, guess what, I can reinstall Mac OS X within 30 minutes or restore from a clone in an hour.

Really, the advent of iOS was the downfall of Apple users.