Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Surprised nobody mentioned it yet...

When the Wind Blows

Its an animated film, with an incredible soundtrack. But don't let that stop you...if you want an apocalyptic film, this will scare you.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
What hasn't been mentioned

Akira (the one and only)
Fist of the Northstar (ultra violence)
Escape from New York (only seen it in spanish)
Escape from LA (haven't seen it, but I assume more of the same)
Jonny Mnemonic (Keanu badness, Ice -T, and the dolphine should have got top billing)
Tank Girl(Ice-T is a kangaroo)
Cyborg (VanDam badness)
Cyborg II (Angelina Jolie badness)
anything with "of the Dead" in the title
Biohazard... I mean Resident Evil
Alias season 4 finale (zombies)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Oooh, dark days ahead...
On the politco-social level, Twleve Monkeys
On the psycho-social level, Donnie Darko

Two fracking awesome movies. I need to watch Donnie Darko again, it's been a few....hours. ;)

You got me going on one of my favorite topics. These are all older films, but they are considered classics of the genre:

"Soylent Green" - in which people try to survive a horribly polluted, corporate world.

I've found some of the older post-apocalyptic films to be much more original than some today. People were creative (if sometimes over the top) with their ideas of how the world would end. We watched soylent green in my environmental science course last year as a sort of discussion-starter on sustainability. Great movie for provoking thought and discussion about the future.

isnt this genre called "Post-apocalyptic"?

La Jetée is one...Akira.

Yeah I guess it is, my mistake.

La Jetée is an awesome film. I've seen it 4 or 5 times, written about it and worked with incorporating some of its stylistic elements into my own film. I'm glad I first saw it before I saw 12 Monkeys (which is based on La Jetée).

Every time I see it I think "oh, a black and white film with no dialogue shot only in still images can't be that interesting", then I watch it again and I'm impressed.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
"The Omega Man" - a precursor to "28 Days Later".

Aaah Moses with a Gun...

There's a TV version of Brave New World, but it's a bit *****. You're better off reading the book which is imo one of the best dystopian novels ever written

Shooting Dogs is not post apocalyptic, but is a pretty compelling account of an aspect of a modern day apocalypse (Rwandan "acts of genocide")

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I definitely give the thumbs up to The Day After. Horror movies about the end of the world don't phase me because they are fiction. However TDA seriously messed me up for a while after seeing it. Going through high school and then college and learning that what was depicted was really just the tip of the iceberg as it were to what would happen if the USSR and the US decided to launch their nukes helped though. Were I live is a first strike target. I wouldn't survive the initial attack which while it seems grim is a blessing in disguise.

Oh I just finished watching 1959's On the Beach this evening. The premise being that the rest of the world is gone and Australia is all that is left. But not for long as radiation levels are raising and there is supposedly 5 months to live. the movie opens up with a US submarine sailing into port. Its an OK movie I guess. Very toned down in regards to what radiation does to the human body though. But it was 1959 after all.

It not as if when the sub pops up in San Fran to look for survivors that there were going to be corpses all over the place. Still good story, albeit morbid, overall.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
In the 80s on British TV they showed The Day After and Threads within a day, or so, of each other.

Threads made TDA look like a family Disney film!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.