Apogee Duet bass crackling

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Dae, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Dae macrumors regular

Dae

Hi everybody,
    I think I have a problem with my Apogee Duet (1st gen), but I'm a newbie when it comes to sound stuff and I want to be sure it's not a misconfiguration or my misunderstanding of something. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

The problem is: I hear bass crackling when listening through Sennheiser HD555 headphones to more or less bassy songs such as E.S. Posthumus — Nara or Positively Dark — Howl (try it, it's legally free) with this EQ setting in my audio player called Vox.app:

[​IMG]

When I plug the headphones directly to my Mac and play the same songs with the same EQ setting, the crackling is gone even when I significantly increase the volume.

If I turn off EQ while using the Duet, the crackling is gone as well.

What do you think?

2. TMRaven, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

That's the wrong way to go about EQ. If you raise the gain on some of the frequency bars, you need to lower your preamp to accommodate. Example, if you raise 64hz by 6db, you need to lower your preamp by 6db, so the preamp will be -6db.

An example of one of my EQs:

[​IMG]

3. Dae thread starter macrumors regular

Dae

Thanks man! Much appreciated for the advice. It solved the issue. I also figured I should watch the red light for "overs" on Duet or in Maestro.

[​IMG]

Gotta learn more about it...