Apogee Duet Cables and Monitors

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Jbgloss, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Jbgloss macrumors member

Jbgloss

Hello everyone,

Finishing up my studio when I get back home.

Got the Mac Pro all set, software rolling, Condensor Mic, and it is sounding great. Now I am looking for some good Studio Monitors to plug into my duet.
    My budget is a total of $800 - $1200

I have read some issues with balanced or unbalanced cables with the Duets Any suggestions on what you are using would be great.

Suggestions on Studio Monitors in that range and type of cables for the Duet.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I do mostly voice over, podcasting, type of work.

Thank You,

JB

2. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

use balanced/symmetric cables for your duet 2.
    if you have the duet 1, use unbalanced because it doesn't output a balanced signal.

I highly recommend Adam-Audio speakers (Adam A7x)... But pretty much everyone will suggest their own speakers / fav to you.. More important than good speakers are good acoustics in your room !

many people are telling that there are always specific MONITORS for certain uses. That's not true (for normal hi-fi speakers, maybe yes).

There are only good and bad monitors.
    Because music is music. Somes are more enjoyable to listen to that others, but that's not the point here. You need monitors. A neutral Stereo image to analyze what you are doing.

Adam Audio
    Genelec
    Focal
    Dynaudio
    Yamaha
    KRK
    .... etc, all make quality speakers.

If you are serious, read a book about room acoustics and fix your room first. Especially for deep voices with a lot of LF, it's important to know what you are doing if you mix them.

Good Luck.

3. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Thank you for taking the time to post! I have been looking at the Adams they look sweet. I am going to take your advice and work the room acoustics. I have a large window in the room, but I think I can make it work.

Checked out your music - sweet!!! Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks for the advice any is better then none at this point. I will be picking up the monitors in a few weeks when I get back from Colombia. But I like the Adams - they may work for me!

Thank YOU!!

JB

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

agree 100% about room acoustics. it's easy to do wrong, but easy to do right if you read up on it.

check out realtraps.com and gikacoustics.com. the former has some really good info, they both sell bass traps, which is likely what you'll need the most of. i have traps from both and can give specific recommendations when it comes time.

5. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Thanks Zim

Thanks Zim for the resources!

I truly appreciate it. I am at the "learning stage" but I jump in heads first and just go at it. SO this saves me so much time and I appreciate it!

Thank You!!

JB