Apogee DUET + iTunes advise on sample rate settings

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Derro, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Derro macrumors newbie

Hi all.

Hope someone can throw some light on this for me. Firstly, I am TOTALLY new to computer audio and digitally illiterate!

I am using the DUET with iTunes and a MacBook. It is ONLY for audio playback within a hi-end audiophile audio system. All my cd's have been ripped into iTunes in AIFF.

Now this is what I am confused...... there is talk of AudioMidi, Core Audo, Quicktime, iTunes, Maestro ....... and what sample rate should be set where. I only have this set up since yesterday, but my impressions are that using 44/16 the top end is somewhat sterile.... if I change things to 96k in AudioMidi then the top end is a little lifeless. I was under the impression, be it right or wrong that setting to 96k would mean that the original 44/16 would be upsampled to 96/24 and that playback would be enhanced. But listening does not agree with this.

Is there anyone out there using the DUET in a similar situation as I am and I am sure that thre are many... if so how have you got everything set?

Hope that someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone whomay care to help.

DerrO

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

It's absolutely pointless converting a 44.1k file into 96. The information simply isn't there. It's like blowing up a low resolution picture (2m pixels, etc) into a 10 x 10 foot poster. Actually, not the greatest analogy but you get my drift.

Keep it at 44.1K.

3. Derro thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I see what you mean.... like i said,,, I am new to the computer audio end of things ( thought not hi-fi !) .

Point taken and I guess that you have confirmed what I thought in that it would be best to keep at 44/16

Regards
    DerrO