Apogee Duet vs. M Audio Blackbox

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by okayjustin, Dec 30, 2008.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

I was wondering which one do you guys like better?

Well for me, I want to record guitars and vocals and just the drum machine. I'm able to do all of that on Logic Pro 8/Garageband but I was wondering if there was there any advantages to having that blackbox? Maybe better amp models than what's on Logic Pro 8? Is it true? Or better sound quality?

2. joe.cavers macrumors regular

I can't say regarding other aspects as I'm not overly familiar with every aspect of the Blackbox, but regarding sound quality, the Apogee Duet will win hands down. Those are probably the best converters on the market for that price (don't quote me on that though!).

JC

3. cariokid macrumors newbie

Apogee duet

Hi

Just got for christmas an apogee duet
    i dont have an instrument but wish to use this to record my dj mixes.
    i bought a cable that connects the apogee to my dj mixing table
    (instrument to output of the mixing table)
    With Maestro i can here the music thru the apogee. so i guess that i've connected both machines correctly

But i dont know how i can hear and record the music thru garageband.

Thanks 4 your help
    B

4. Elbradamontes macrumors newbie

Don't get overly concerned about it.

I've used many interfaces. All were consumer grade so I can't compair to a 2g preamp and separate a/d converter etc.etc. I can tell you that I am very happy with my purchase of the "one", which is rumored to be inferior to the duet. Here's the problem: it's a signal chain. So you have many factors from sound in to sound out that affect the quality, the most important being your mixing and eq ing abilities. The "extra" goodies you get with any device usually come with a cost...lower sound quality. But don't be too quick to judge that harshly. If you're just starting out, more options may be better from a learning standpoint than audiophile quality. Oh, and all amp models are absolute crap. Crapiest crap of crap. Anyone who says differently is compairing amp models to other amp models, NOT actuall amps. Or they're completely deaf. So, I don't recommend using amp models or effects as part of the decision making process. Inputs is an entirely different story. If you need 'em you need 'em. Effects and amp models you most certainly do not. To the dj with the connectivity question. You have to install Maestro. Then simply tell GarageBand you want to use the "duet". If apogee duet is not an option in the input source drop down list in the lower right corner, you either have not selected an audio track or you need o make sure Maestro is installed correctly. In logic it's in the audio drop down menu.

5. Elbradamontes macrumors newbie

One mire thing.

In order to hear what's coming out of GarageBand you also need software monitoring and the record button activated (the little red r in the track info pane). You also need to adjust maestro. You can adjust the amount if hardware monitoring (straight from the duet) and software monitoring (from GarageBand). This mix is usually dine with a knob. It's all die in maestro for the duet.

6. Elbradamontes macrumors newbie

Oh yeah.

You also need to select GarageBand, preferences, and then select the duet as input and output device.