Apogee Duet with new MBP. Any problems?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Sir Cecil, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

My iMac has gone and I'll be picking up a new MBP in a day or two.
    What is the situation with the Apogee Duet (Firewire 400) and the MBP (Firewire 800 only). Anyone have recommendations regarding adaptors or whatever?
    I have a couple of HDs I like to connect to the FW800 port. Can I daisychain the HDs via the FW800 port and then connect the Duet to the last HD's FW400 port and get a result?
    Or does one have to use a hub (which itself would take up the MBP's sole Firewire port)? I'm confused by what's necessary/recommended for the best results and no-compromise operation of the Duet with the new MBP
    Thanks.

2. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I use a cable with a 400 plug at one end and an 800 plug at the other to attach the Duet, works fine, although a simple 400/800 adapter should do the job.

I also have attached the Duet to the 400 port on an external drive, which is itself attached to the 800 port on the MBP. Also worked well. I haven't tried daisychaining off two drives though - I don't know if that would supply enough power if each of the drives was bus powered.

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

4. Sir Cecil thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I can also confirm that it works like a charm with my uMBP 2.4.

I'd recommend a 400 to 800 cable instead of an adapter. I'm wary of hard adapters (unlike those like Apple's adapters that have a short cable in between) as I'm afraid they have the potential to put a lot of torque on the port. Hard adapters act like a lever of sorts, allowing a lot of eschewing force to be concentrated on the internal connection of the port.

Make sense?