Apogee ONE with regular mic vs. mxl 009??? (example)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by chris1184, Oct 24, 2011.

1. chris1184 macrumors regular

So I was researching mics because up until now i have been using a crappy samson co1u with logic....i was wanting to upgrade my mic to a mxl 009 ....but then i came upon the apogee ONE...i was wondering does anyone know how the mic in the apogee ONE compares to a standalone usb condenser like the mxl 009....also i know the ONE has a built in pre amp so if i got a regular mic with it, would it sound waaaay better than just the built in mic of the ONE? and while we are at it what would be a decent regular mic to plug into the apogee ONE? (i only have knowledge of usb condensers up until this point, any help is appreciated). I record hip hop vocals as a hobby and mess around making my own beats in logic too.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The built in mic on the ONE is pretty cool and I have used it on vocals and acoustic guitars with very good results, but I've never had a USB mic to compare with.

3. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the input :)

cool...yeah i really want to step up my game as far as recording of vocals goes...i have been able to get some great results with the samson co1u...but that thing is old and i know there is far better equipment out there now....i always hate posting things about USB mics because all of the purists come out of the wood work and start yelling," Get a pre-amp and a regular mic!!" blah blah blah...and i am seriously considering this now, especially with this Apogee ONE device i can use it as a mic until I can get a regular one that plugs into it....can anyone else chime in regarding the quality of this Apogee ONE device's mic performance..can u get studio quality sound with it??

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

This is one of the main reasons I got a ONE. USB mics are one trick ponies, they leave no options for compatibility with pretty much any other gear you may purchase. With the ONE you get the convenience of a USB mic and the option to use a regular mic.

5. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

exactly!!!! ANNND I have a feeling that the built in mic with this thing is going to be better than the Samson C01U (researching this as we speak).....quick question...is there a need for a pop filter with the Apogee ONE?

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

7. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

cool np..got one that i use now

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

9. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

10. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

i sent apogee an email to find out if the unit is capable of recording at a 24bit rate....will post here once i find out...or if anyone else knows, please chime in!

11. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

12. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

nice

13. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

so I put in a bid on ebay a few days ago...forgot about it and ended up winning ..wooohooo!!! 180 bucks for a new Apogee ONE!