Apogee ONE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fr4c, Oct 19, 2009.

1. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

The "audiophile" fever has hit full pitch for me, so yesterday when I was at the Apple Store I picked up the Apogee ONE to use as a DAC. After hearing great reviews on the Duet, I thought I give this little guy a try and see how it performs. So far it has exceeded my expectations, as it seems to have removed a "veil" that previously existed from having my speakers plugged in directly to the Mac Pro. I can honestly say that there is definitely increased bass and mid extension, and no longer sound muddy on vocals which I experienced before (Norah Jones vocal, Freddie Hubbard solo, etc.).

If anyone is interested in this device, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge. Keep in mind I'm using this for playback only (as a DAC), and don't intend to record through it (which is possible). Pictures to come, stock photo for now as teaser :p

[​IMG]

2. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Nice purchase, man. Apogee make awesome audio equipment. Now if I could only afford to buy an Ensemble to replace my TC Electronic Konnekt....

Is the housing made of plastic or aluminum?

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

So what's your 3-week verdict ?

Are you using it with headphones as well? I'm wondering whether its integrated headphone amp would be sufficient to drive my (as far as I know) only moderately demanding Sennheiser HD 555's.

4. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

If it's anything like the Duet then the One will easily drive your Sennheisers.

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Thanks - yeah, that's kind of the question. I have also been asking myself whether the DAC is the same as the one in the DUET. Apogee representatives have said, that although their internals differ the quality should be comparable. I might just try it out one of these days...

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Very nice. I have a Duet and love it. I am thinking about getting my fiancee a One for her K702s. While it is adequate in terms of audiophile quality, pairing it with an amp takes it a another level. The difference between the Duet alone and the Duet plus my Woo WA6 is night and day with my K701/2s.

Once you start going for quality sound it never ends. As they say on head-fi, "Sorry for your wallet."