Apollo Quad or a pair of Genelec M040s

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by wesk702, Oct 20, 2014.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Curious what the opinions are on gear recommendations. My next significant upgrade to my home battlestation is one of these two options. I currently have a Scarlett 18i20 and Mackie HR624s. My wife is eyeing my current gear, but I only plan on getting one of the mentioned as my next upgrade. Which one would be a better buy?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Apollo Quad Apollo Quad Apollo Quad Apollo Quad. Seriously, ask me anything about this device (it's really a computer). BEST IN CLASS EVERYTHING! I don't work for UA, but they have great customer service. I use it with a 4-710d analog preamp. Warning: entering the Universal Audio ecosystem is a costly endeavor! I've spent over $10,000 on UA gear or plugins. If you plan on using the Apollo's preamps, I suggest getting the Neve 1073EQ plugin as it has a Unison preamp emulator for the Apollo that enables AMAZING sounding recordings using the 1073 preamp in the Console application which comes with the Apollo. Ask me some questions... the Apollo is a highly respected piece of gear for a reason!

3. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Is it true UA will extend demos if u ask?

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I don't know. Only one way to find out! I already own most of the plugins so I don't plan on demoing any more soon, I only demoed 2 I think and ended up buying both (API Vision... not impressed but the unison preamp sounds best on bass, and Neve 1073 EQ sounds great especially Male Pop Vocal preset and Male Vocal when using unison preamp).

5. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Defiantly the Apollo, in my opinion its best to get better conversion first before new monitors else you probably won't hear much difference. :)

6. maclove4life macrumors regular

i have apollo quad core...it's amazing....i don't know what else to say....
    clear sounded....i was hesitant before i bought this as i moved up from m-audio 410...

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Ok, here's a question. I'm demoing the 1073 Unison pre. Already have the 610b. I'm going record guitars and bass direct in through the hi-z inputs, and acoustic through xlr (one at a time). Right now I've got an 2008 8-core Mac Pro and a MacBook Air. I'm probably gonna sell both and go with a new 15" retina MacBook Pro. I've found it's more comfortable having a laptop so I can record anywhere and not be "chained" in front of a desk.

So here's my question. How do you personally gain stage your guitars? I think I'm going to use Console, either the 1073 or 610b preamp, the chandler amp sim, and an 1176se or the 33609 for compression and record into Logic (I read you should turn off software monitoring in Logic if you want to record like that.)

I used to have a MOTU ultralite and would just record straight into Logic. So it's a little weird getting used to.

Are you shooting for -12db on the Console meter ?

And, for anyone else reading, the sound difference between Apollo and the MOTU doesn't even compare. And I've tried Logic's amp sim, Amplitube 3 (CPU HOG), Guitar Rig, and others. The UAD Chandler is the closest thing to a real amp I've ever heard.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you get a new MacBook Pro keep in mind it doesn't support direct firewire in.

For guitars here's an example:

Gibson Les Paul Studio plugged into Fender Twin Reverb. Then SM57 on one speaker and KSM353 on the other. Run 25 foot XLRs into 4-710d but for this example we'll say Apollo. As far as the "Record In" UAD signal chain I'm not really known to do extensive processing on the tracking side... I usually save the plug-ins and channel strips for post. Neve 1073 unison would probably be the only "effect" I would apply on the signal, and mess with channel strips later and definitely not do any amp sims on the record in even if it is Hi-Z in for greater flexibility later. I also have the Chandler and it is nice, especially when bussed to a fader. Twin Tube, G Bus compressor, ATR-102 or A800 tape, SSL E Series, Fairchild 670, definitely the API 560, Oxford Inflator, RealVerb pro or EMT 160 all some to consider and the LA-2 and 1176 as you mentioned.

Rule of thumb that I have heard and use is no more than target -9dB for any input signal.

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Appreciate the reply. Ok, so you're mic'ing up your amp. As for the rMBP, I'm already using the apple FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter with the MacBook Air. I still can't justify spending $500 on the UAD thunderbolt card. I'm doing one track at a time so I don't necessarily need "more" DSP processing power.

I think I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to record the wet signal and a dry signal at the same time. I'll have to research that further, as far as the flexibility you mentioned. The problem I have is that there are just TOO many choices/options in digital recording. I think I'd be more productive in trying to record my music if I had to work with limitations, much like I had to do in my earlier days on 4-track cassette tape. Less messing around, dial in the sound(s) and just go.

I bought the Apollo almost two years ago. To my dismay, there are now deals going where they throw the TB card in for free. And of course they recently released the Apollo Twin. That would've suited my needs better, but I digress..

10. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Yeah it's crazy, just picked up an Apollo duo with TB kit for $1500 flat and free shipping. It was due to a technical error on pricing from $1600, but still $1600 is still a steal.