Apologies for ANOTHER Battery life thread.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sarngate, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Sarngate macrumors regular

But i'm a little worried that the battery in my MBP 13'' 2010 isn't performing as it should be. Current readings from Coconut Battery (i calibrated a few weeks ago):

Current capacity: 4776
    Design capacity: 5770
    Cycles: 228

82% after only 228 charges ? I was never really expecting the claimed '80% after 1000' on the Apple website, but this seems a lit bit underwhelming. There's an Apple store just down the road, worth going to see if they'll change it ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (This link is also found in most of the other battery threads)

3. Sarngate thread starter macrumors regular

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Dang, and I thought mine was bad (16 cycles at 92-94 if I'm lucky and never was 100% even brand new).

Honestly, if you peruse other threads asking people what theirs gets, I've noticed the 2010 13" MBP's all tend to be on the lower side considering they are not even a year old.

I really wonder if their "long life" battery really is all that long life, it seems to come with a battery that loses a lot of its potential really quick (maybe it tends to lose a lot quickly then tends to stay at a certain percentage for a while). My 2007 MBP has 97% battery life still according to coconut battery and I did all the things they say you shouldn't. But at least that one has a removable battery so it's pretty easy to replace if it did go bad.

Question, don't know if you'll know (I tend to keep mine plugged in as I mostly use it as a desktop), but does yours slowly start losing power even when it's plugged in (mine will tend to lose up to 4 or 5% over the week before I end up unplugging it and using the battery).

Unfortunately with battery concerns it is really hard to get any manufacturer to back them up but I think yours seems bad enough they might actually decide it's not normal. Though if I were you, I'd at least try (I just got told it's normal by the apple guy but I also was bringing it in for another concern so thought I'd bring it up since it was there).

5. Sarngate thread starter macrumors regular

Well honestly mine was at 88% from the start, but i just let that go because if it had stayed that high i would have been happy, but this is unacceptable considering their 1000 cycle claim.

Oh and to answer your question, i haven't noticed that, sounds weird. :3

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You're kidding me! I totally would have brought that up. That's ridiculous. Honestly, I'd at least go and see what they say, it does sound like yours is defective.

And yeah, the apple guy said it was weird too (but then didn't really do anything about it. He reset something and said maybe that my battery would show better and I think he was hoping it would stop the random losing of power but my computer still loses power slowly).

7. FSUNoles macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2010 13" base no more than two weeks ago, and my battery health is varying between 96-98 percent after only 9 cycles, don't know if thats the norm or not...

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the link in the 2nd post in this thread. It has all your answers.