Apologies to the community

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kallisti, Jan 1, 2011.

1. kallisti macrumors 65816

kallisti

Several of my recent posts over the past few days/weeks have been somewhat argumentative or even rantings.

Apologies if I have offended anyone. I've been struggling recently to figure out for myself why I enjoy taking photographs and what I'm really hoping to achieve with my photos. My own internal struggle has spilled over into my comments. It's my problem and not something that I should be inflicting on the community. Sorry to all the posters whose threads I have derailed. Mea culpa.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Do let us know if there's something we can do to help you figure it out. For what it's worth, I think it's something most photographers struggle with for a long time. I haven't quite zeroed in just yet myself, but I feel as though I'm getting close to finding my 'voice' with photography. As with any art, the way forward usually becomes clearer the more you practice and experiment. It's a journey of fits and starts, of making little discoveries that start to gel into a constellation of interests and ideas. Either you'll eventually lock into something, or else you'll decide that the journey is the destination. Either way, just try to have fun with it while pushing yourself at the same time.

...gnothi seauton, meden agan...

3. kallisti, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

kallisti thread starter macrumors 65816

kallisti

Thanks for your understanding Phrasikleia. Know yourself and nothing in excess (or nothing overmuch) are actually decent rules to live by. To a Greek ear these two phrases meant much more than an English translation can convey. I'd throw in Heraclitus' panta rhei: all things flow, everything changes, nothing is constant or fixed.

I'll figure it out with time. I just feel bad for allowing my own issues to spill into comments that might be perceived as attacks by others.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Um... All I can say is it's Greek to me...:)

I am in a bit of the same boat trying to rationalize spending around $2000 on lenses and only buying two. One of them used...:eek:

I like photography because it provides me a vent for my creative side without having to fight with my limitations with traditional art. I don't know where this is taking me. The more I just relax and go with the flow the more I have fun.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to voice an apology, even though I was not offended by anything. The Net could use more folks like you.

Just my 2K worth...

Dale

5. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Got 'little latin and less Greek" so I've gotta use English...Don't sweat it ... go out , take pictures . take them for YOURSELF , because they are of things YOU find interesting . Don't agonize about whether they're ' good' or not . Sooner or later you'll find a style you're comfortable with . Hang in there , everything will eventually resolve itself.

6. avro707, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

avro707 macrumors 6502a

Just photograph what you love to photograph. And if you're not sure, photograph everything!

One of my colleagues just started in photography - and photographs everything, and I mean everything! Full marks for enthusiasm. There is no pressure to achieve the finest results and get images published - that's probably where you find your style and genre that does it for you.

I have a very good permanent full time job that pays well, so photography for me is the part-time side engagement. It's nice that it can make money, but it's not a panic if it doesn't. The most important thing is to never lose the enjoyment factor of taking photos. If you don't enjoy it, then that will probably be obvious in your images too. I think that if you enjoy it, then, provided you've got the technical side understood, everything else will fall into place. When I get a bit tired, I put the camera down for a while and do something else - then I come back recharged.

When I'm taking a break from photos, I have fun painting up planes for MS Flight Simulator! I love doing that, the creativity of it - the effort that goes into it - using all the tricks of Photoshop and Illustrator to achieve the result.

Don't pressure yourself into trying to rationalise your images - that only takes away the enjoyment. :)

7. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

My own struggles have kept me shooting with a 6 year old 20D (still takes great photos).

Coming from an area of the USA where I could easily park and get photos of things that moved me and then moving to my current city where there is barely room for 2 cars and no place to pull off and even walk makes it hard to get the shots I see.

My hope for 2011 is to change my vision and get more photos taken this year and to enjoy photography again.

Take care,