Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Just found this out, and not sure if many people know. But if you hold down the button on the ipad keyboard that has the explanation point/comma, it will type in an apostrophe. It takes a second for it to work, so its not that great a workaround to actually having the apostrophe key there, but its probably a little faster than flipping to the second screen to use the apostrophe.

I've found not having an apostrophe the most annoying part of the keyboard, so this helps a little.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
Just found this out, and not sure if many people know. But if you hold down the button on the ipad keyboard that has the explanation point/comma, it will type in an apostrophe. It takes a second for it to work, so its not that great a workaround to actually having the apostrophe key there, but its probably a little faster than flipping to the second screen to use the apostrophe.

I've found not having an apostrophe the most annoying part of the keyboard, so this helps a little.

Thanks for the tip. Tes't'ing. Nice find!

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Thank's for the tip. It works out much faster than flipping to the other menu. Too bad it doesn't work for the top row of keys for numbers.

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
That's awesome. I didn't find that one. I know that if you hold down the quotation mark on the keyboard you get a few options. And you can get a em-dash by holding down the hyphen. Actually, quite a few of the punctuation marks on the second page have alternate marks if you hold them down (like how you get the accents on the letters on the primary keyboard by holding down e, i, etc).

Thanks for pointing it out.

Woz Beard

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
USA
A'w'e's'o'm'e!!!!!!

I just noticed that when you lock the up arrow the exclamation point doesn't work. It only works when you click on the up arrow once, but not when it's locked. You have to hold the up arrow to type multiple exclamation points.

nsdjoe

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Nice trick for the contractions that don't auto-complete (Like we'll, we're, she'll, etc.).

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
I read about this on another blog recently... And I wonder, why does useful information like this get buried? I mean, I guess there is a lot to cover, but it'd be helpful if apple would put out a series of little time-saving tips built into the os that you might not know about. Another case in point is the "two finger scroll" for scrolling text inside a text box. I just found out about this recently, and it's great.

onabudget

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Typically, the iTelOS has had other characters available within the displayed key. Here's others:

. -> : ¿
, -> ¡ '
n ->ñ ń n
c -> ć ç č
z -> ž ź ż

The special character keys have quite a few!

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Another Apostrophe Trick

Heres another trick. Instead of worrying about typing the apostrophe just type an extra letter. For example, type in werre for we're and itll autocorrect to the right spelling. It works with most words except possession words (ie. Mike's). It might not be a mind blowing trick but it does cut down a stroke or 2 when typing fast. I use it on mostly words that, without the apostrophe, would be a different word (ie. we're/were).

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Heres another trick. Instead of worrying about typing the apostrophe just type an extra letter. For example, type in werre for we're and itll autocorrect to the right spelling. It works with most words except possession words (ie. Mike's). It might not be a mind blowing trick but it does cut down a stroke or 2 when typing fast. I use it on mostly words that, without the apostrophe, would be a different word (ie. we're/were).

I do the exact same thing, but when those possession words do come around, this tip would be a handy feature. Thanks to the OP for pointing it out!:cool:

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010

Itll? Heres?

Classic...

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I just noticed that when you lock the up arrow the exclamation point doesn't work. It only works when you click on the up arrow once, but not when it's locked. You have to hold the up arrow to type multiple exclamation points.

Exactly like a real keyboard then.

MacBill

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
Western Montana
well, not quite that easy. You hold it down until the exclamation appears in blue, then slide your finger up on it. Also, you don't have to type the extra character in a word like it's. Just type its and it auto corrects from there. At least that's how it works with my iPad2

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
well, not quite that easy. You hold it down until the exclamation appears in blue, then slide your finger up on it. Also, you don't have to type the extra character in a word like it's. Just type its and it auto corrects from there. At least that's how it works with my iPad2

Hmm...maybe things changed a bit in the past two years?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Not at all. Still the way it has worked since the iPad 1 ... two years later and holy thread revival!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Many people are unaware but if you're looking to type a word like "we're" rather than "were", you can simply type the last letter twice and it'll add the ' for you. So you'd type "weree" and it'll change it to "we're". Quicker than bringing up the '

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

Ohhhh I see it works the same as holding down the period key to access shortcut email text .com .me .org .edu

Hmmm maybe when I have a few minutes to wast I'll go through the keyboard and hold down each key and see what happens.

Cool tip bro

Zethca

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
It works faster when you swipe up on the key. Much faster than switching screens when you know the common ones.

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over
Hmm...maybe things changed a bit in the past two years?

It sure did, with the latest iOS update. Used to work exactly like the first post in this ancient thread describes, just holding the key down would make an apostrophe appear, but now you have to hold it down and then slide up to select. No biggie, but I liked it better the old way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.