App Advice: Readers and Drawing apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by One Love 1867, May 26, 2010.

1. One Love 1867 macrumors regular

Hello all,

Just a quick query regarding a couple of apps, as being in the UK I'm starting to prepare for the arrival of the iPad.

There's already quite afew RSS readers and drawing applications on the App store, but was just looking for some advice as to which ones to go for?

For readers, I've been looking at NewsRack, which comes with a good reputation from both iPad and iPhone. However, I've also just stumbled upon The Early Edition, which seems to place your feeds into a brilliant looking newspaper asthetic. Looks excellent, but not sure which of the two to go for. I believe both are the same price, so ideally it would be great to hear from anyone who has used both?

For drawing applications, I'm torn between Brushes, Sketchbook Pro and ArtStudio. I'm no artist, although I do enjoy drawing, and the missus also loves to paint and would really appreciate a good painting app (she's far better than I, that's for sure). Does anyone have any advice regarding which of those to swing for?

Thanks in advance, any help here would be gratefully appreciated. I'm also open to suggestions for alternatives to the above!

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I dont know about the readers but I have all three of the art apps and love them all.

Brushes is probably my favorite because its very simple and has a decent amount of brushes. The UI stays out of the way so you can just paint. You can also play back your paintings step by step how you made them.

Art Studio has a lot of great features and I love the red pen (not sure what it does but I like its effect!)

Sketchbook pro has the most features but I really don't like the UI. Its not terrible but its not the best IMO.

3. kholinar macrumors newbie

I thought the look of Early Edition was really interesting, but, for now, it only imports Google Reader subscriptions. It doesn't sync. That's just a little too much of a hassle for me at the moment.

So I opted for Newsrack, and it's perfectly serviceable. I'm not as fond of the list/email navigation style that everyone's using, at least in this scenario it annoys me. It's slower loading feeds than what I use on my iPhone (Reeder).

So, having said all that, I'm willing to say that Newsrack is a good interim reader, at least until it updates or until other programmers start to actually design to the platform's strength.

I'm definitely going to buy Reeder's iPad app when it's released. No idea when that will be though...