App as a router. (Not tethering with LTE)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Dec 18, 2016.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Is there an app out there that allows you to use the phone as a router? Not tether via cellular data

Typical use case is in hotels they only allow 3 devices sometimes would be useful to use it this way.

Have an android device as well if it works there and there are iOS restrictions

2. Aneef, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Do you want to use your phone as an Access Point (AP)?
    The easiest workaround I would do is to use the built in hotspot of my iPhone and then go into the settings of your cellular data profile and change a few settings, by putting garbage data(but ofcourse remember the original settings). I have done this a few times. This doesn't consume the cellular data and makes a portable hotspot too.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Sounds more like he wants to use it as a wireless bridge. Personally, I got a $20 TP-Link Nano Travel Router for this. Really light and tiny plus it's USB-powered.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks yes and do you know if they bypass the login pages in hotels?

6. Applejuiced, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Personally, I connect it via ethernet. I find it more reliable and less congested than wireless bridging. If the hotel has like one of those Terms of Service pages, each wifi device still gets that page.