App Cleaning in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sayhitokyle, Sep 14, 2014.

1. sayhitokyle macrumors member

sayhitokyle

So I was deleting unnecessary apps and data from my iPhone in the run up to the big (literally) upgrade at the end of the month and noticed that my Facebook app has amassed a cache of 950mb of data. I remember in iOS 6 that apps would go into 'cleaning' mode and delete extra data when they got beyond a certain size.
    Does iOS 7/8 still have this feature? Or an option to delete the 'Documents and Data' for individual apps without having to delete and reinstall?

2. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

As someone who used Vine back when it was a thing, I sympathise. However, while cleaning still exists, there's no way to delete the cache manually.

3. sayhitokyle thread starter macrumors member

sayhitokyle

Damn. I'll be upgrading to a larger capacity phone, but I still feel there's been a bit of an oversight there. I'm not entirely sure what the threshold for data is before an app cleans itself.
    A cache of nearly 1gb seems unreasonable when I only have a 16gb phone.
    I guess it's just fortunate I keep on top of my storage usage.

4. bushido Suspended

bushido

i dont get it either. why even bother to show it if you cant manually get rid of it without deleting and reinstalling the app

5. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Why don't you just delete the app from Usage (Settings>General>Usage) - this should also delete any data associated with the app - and reinstall it from the App Store? I do this every now and then with Instagram.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I assume it's because iOS is blamed for the sins of the developers, whether it's battery life or storage used or apps crashing. I like knowing what's really going on. :)

7. sayhitokyle thread starter macrumors member

sayhitokyle

That's what I've been doing up until now. I'd just like there to be a simpler way.