App/code for a online quiz generator?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Kingsly, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

A professor of mine wants to setup an online quizzing system that takes five random questions from a pool and generates a multiple choice quiz that a student can take and have instantly graded. Is there any software and/or code that will do that?

Free is ideal, but paid works too! :)

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Sounds pretty specific and custom. I wouldn't think there would be anything out there like this already existing, but hell, wouldn't be surprised.

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Well, I know there are all kinds of sites out there that have quizzes. I see them all the time, and thus would imaine that there is some kind of code or software out there that does it. My best guess is to write a Javascript that references a table of questions and and answers, and another one of false answers and generates the quiz from that. It knows the answer, so once the student hits submit it grades it and reports the number wrong.

I don't know java, so would be quite useless in that endeavor... :eek:

4. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I've seen code for doing online quizes with javascript, but not with pulling random questions. google javascript quiz and you will find alot of examples.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It would be pretty easy to write something like that yourself if you know any PHP or Ruby on Rails. Database schema:

Code:
    questions
      id int
      question text
      correct_answer_id int

answers
      id int
      question_id int
      answer text
    Pull 5 random questions from the "questions" table, and for each one of them get all the possible answers (matching question_id) from the "answers" table. Put this in a form with radio selection buttons for each answer choice, and when the form is submitted you can check if the submitted id for each answer group matches the correct_answer_id of that question.

6. happyeric macrumors newbie

I want one!

I you still have some. Can you give me one quiz generator code?