App compatible with BBM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ParagJain, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Hi,

Is there any app that's compatible and capable to send messages to Blackberry Messenger? Lot of my friends are on BB and it would be nice to be able to chat with them via iOS.

Thanks,

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So far as I know, no. WhatsApp, which can be used on both the iPhone and on Blackberries, is as close as one can get. I do think it would be nice to have BBM compatibility at some level on the iPhone, but I can't see it happening anytime soon (unless Apple buys RIM).

3. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

I wonder what happened to that app that was being worked on lol.

4. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I don't think it will ever be possible (unless BB and Apple somehow merge) because BBM is one of the huge selling points of BlackBerry devices, and it's exclusivity to the platform keeps people buying BłáçkBėrrīéš.

Sorry, started testing out Lion's keyboard feature at the end there...

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

There is a great app called "Messages" infact it comes preinstalled with every iPhone!!

6. ah123 macrumors regular

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

BBM is more than just an app. It has a whole infrastructure that is provided by RIM.

8. wvphysics macrumors regular

It's all data, it shouldn't require a whole infrastructure, as evidenced by Apple with iMessage that performs the same functions without any seperate, at least major, infrastructure.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

The point is that you have to be able to interface with RIM's infrastructure in order to make something compatible with BBM.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

all BBMs go through RIM servers in Waterloo, ON Canada regardless where the users are, how would an iDevice get access to those RIM servers without RIM wanting them to?

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I can honestly say that of the few people I know that have Blackberry phones, none of them use the BBM feature. I've asked them how often they used it and the best response was "Huh?" haha
    I know there are many many people that use the BBM feature, but I'm wondering how RIM will deal with things now that it seems to be losing ground to other vendors and technologies (with a business exception).

12. shandyman Suspended

BBM? nope, it's a closed system, there was talk of them making BBM for iOS and Android due to Whatsapp, etc pinching their users tho.

otherwise there are many other alternitives - SMS? MMS? Email? Whatsapp? Pingchat? various IM clients like eBuddy or Trillian?

Blackberry is either gonna die or RIM will switch to android or windows phone 7 for their OS as their own OS is shockingly awful these days

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unlikely they'd go Android or Windows, since they are investing so much in QNX.

in any case: no, you are unlikely to get BBM on an iOS device unless Apple plays RIM a lot of money for licensing and access to the Blackberry platform... something they probably aren't even thinking of doing.

14. shandyman Suspended

well didn't they used to be on windows mobile OS? Either way they need to dump their current OS

well there was a rumor back in march about RIM looking to put BBM on iOS and Android. wouldn't surprise me at the mo.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/rim-preparing-to-bring-bbm-to-ios-and-android-change-everything/

15. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

16. AnthroMatt macrumors 6502

AnthroMatt

That works if you are only talking to one person.

As a former BB user, the only thing I ever used BBM for was for group messaging sessions, sort of like conference calls.

Whatsapp, and to a less effective degree, the new Facebook Messenger app, do have the ability for group chats, however.

17. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

So as far as we're concerned, BBM is really the pioneer of this type of chatting service. Other apps such as WhatsApp, iMessage, and I guess technically Facebook's Messenger app (along with many others out there) got the idea from BBM. I don't think it'll come to IOS. Sorry OP, but it looks like your best bet would be to convince your BlackBerry friends to sue something like WhatsApp.

18. Blazing angel macrumors regular

I'm not sure if many of you know, but a BBM pin is tied to a phone, hardware wise. The pin is the phones identity in BBM. That's why you can't get it.

(i may be wrong)

19. shandyman Suspended

if RIM are making it for other devices, they'll just alter that, non-issue really.

20. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You are right. To use BBM on iPhone. RIM would have to allow iPhones to be assigned pins, or similiar which is highly unlikely.

21. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Clearly none of your friends are teenagers =P At school I hear so many people asking each other 'What's your BBM', 'I'll BBM her' and stuff like that. When you don't have that much money to spend the prospect of free SMS can make the phone very worthwhile.

22. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

WhatsApp seems to be the clear winner, the only prob is that i need to ask all of my friends using BB to install whatsapp and that's ummmm..not very likeable...

Hopefully, all these biggies, someday come up with a nice solution to be able to use data plans for messaging purposes between iOS, Android, BBM and oh yeah..lets bring in Microsoft as well ;)

23. Rocknation macrumors member

just add contact using '' add a contact to text within bbm '' with phone number iphone on bbm blackberry and you can send sms from iphone to bbm.