App Crash Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mfaye21, May 27, 2011.

1. mfaye21 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I got my iPod touch 4th gen. 32 gig. about a month and a half ago. I bought it used but like new and I restored it right when I got it. About three days after I got it I jailbroke it and got some apps for Installus (sp?). About three days after that I decided I wanted my iPod "the Apple way" and unjailbroke and uninstalled any jailbroken apps. I have been buying a lot of games since then but I find that about half of them (and sometimes regular apps) just crash about 30 seconds after I open them (i.e NBA Jam, Bumpy Road, Angry Birds, Madden 11 and a lot more). I have tried everything. First I tried just closing my apps open at the time. Then I tried restarting. Then I tried a hard reset. Then I tried restoring my iPod completely. None of this worked. I know it's not the hardware since I have the most recent iPod and everything else works fine. What can I do to fix my iPod?
    Thanks!!

2. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hello mfaye21 - when you sync your iPod with iTunes, as part of the process any crash logs saved on your iPod get sent to your computer, for eventual upload to Apple. You can view these in Console, which may give you a better idea about what's going on.

4. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

From reading these how do I know how to fix it? Not trying to be rude.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're not coming across as rude at all - no worries. :)

Anyway, the crash log will list the cause, followed by a stack trace and a library list - much like Mac application crash logs. If the cause of the crashes is lack of available memory, for example (which WILL crash applications running at the time this happens - not a fault of the application, but rather an annoying aspect of the way iOS handles memory), try quitting some suspended applications in your multitasking tray - to bring that up, double-tap the Home button. If the cause is anything else - say, EXC_BAD_ACCESS, then you've either got a hardware fault with the iPod (unlikely) or an application bug (more likely).

6. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked all of the crashed logs and about half of them were EXC_BAD_ACCESS. I have a hard time believing that half of my apps have an app bug...

7. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

Hi, so since the original post I have gone to Apple and they replaced my iPod because nothing was working. Let me say that this iPod is substantially better but I am still having problems. While most of my problem apps are now fixed I still have a few that are acting up. Most of the time I can fix the problem by doing a quick restart but 1st of all that is really inconvenient and 2nd is that that still doesn't fix some games. For having a 4th gen iPod touch this is ridiculous and I really want to get the problem sorted out.
    Thanks!

8. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular