App crashed and deleting Finders pref file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netnothing, Jul 2, 2007.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have a Mac Pro, got it in March.....1 GB Apple RAM, 2 GB Crucial RAM (had the RAM since April). No real system changes except updates....10.4.9 and 10.4.10. System has been rock solid....after swapping RAM out until I got this final Crucial set.

Recently, I've been getting a lot of App crashes. Seems like once one starts, it's a domino effect. For example, today Firefox crashed, then I went to start Activity Monitor and it wouldn't start, kept crashing.

Sometimes the dock would crash over and over. Sometimes I could open app after app, and each would crash.

Most console msgs are KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE and KERN_INVALID_ACCESS (I think those are it...not on the machine right now).

Anyway....was chatting with a long time Mac friend and he suggested deleting Finders preference file and rebooting. Says that alot of times when things like that happen, deleting the pref file for the app or even finder (if it's wide spread) will help.

Well, so far, things seem to have settled down...no crashes yet.

I was wondering......is this the best thing to do?
    Can Finder's prefs file affect all applications (because they run in the finder?)

Thanks for any help....BTW....I'm a recent switcher.

-Kevin

2. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just an update....so far things seem to be working fine since deleting the Finder's prefs file.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this file would have caused this?

-Kevin