App Data Lost in Backup

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by djtech42, Jul 24, 2014.

1. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'm not really sure what happened to my app data. I backed up my iPhone 5 on iOS 8 Beta 3.

I was going to OTA update to Beta 4, but I only had 500 MB left and the update required at least 2.5 GB. So, I option-restored with Beta 4 and set up my phone as a new device just in case the low storage would screw up the update. While it was restoring, the process froze, and I had to restart the restore with the phone in recovery mode.

After it successfully restored this time, I then restored my backup from Beta 3 and everything transferred correctly (music, photos, settings, etc.) except for my app data. If I go into any of my apps, it acts like I never opened them before and apps that held files are completely blank.

Thinking it was just a one time fluke, I restored again and even tried a different backup from that day, but the same thing happened.

2. majdimeedo macrumors newbie

same issue here

i think it's a bug with beta 4

3. clubtech macrumors member

I had this happen too but restoring from and iOS 7 backup.
    It only happened on Beta 4 so far so i think it is a beta 4 bug.

4. djtech42 thread starter macrumors 65816

djtech42

Will it eventually transfer the data if I restore enough times, or do I have to rollback to beta 3?

5. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Just renewed my developer account today.. Was on iOS 7, backed up, and installed iOS 8b4, and all of my apps are basically from scratch. Kind of a bummer.

6. djtech42 thread starter macrumors 65816

djtech42

I was able to roll back to beta 3 and restore my backup to it. Then I did an OTA update (the size went from 2.5 GB down to 250 MB this time) to beta 4, and it kept the app data. It seems like as long as you do an update and not a restore, it will probably retain the app data. It did get rid of all my music on the phone though, so everything is still really buggy in terms of the update process.