App data magically restored?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I was using a quit smoking app called Quitter on my iPhone 4. It does not sync data to a server. There is no registration.

Then I got the 4S and restored from backup. A couple of days later, today, I decided to check my quit smoking progress. The app was gone. Poof. So I fired up the App Store and re-downloaded it.

I started up the app, and magically, my quitting data was all right there as if I never lost the app.

How is this possible?

2. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

you restored from a backup, which restores the data.

also iCloud will save data.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm not using iCloud, and while I did restore from backup the day I got my 4S, the Quitter app apparently was not restored along with my other apps, that's why I had to re-download it. Maybe the app data was restored, but not the app itself?

4. Eradik macrumors regular

That could be possible, yes.

Though I do remember reading that some apps used your devices UDID number to save your data, so that could be it. That could be a way it knew your info while still not technically syncing.

5. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

only as part of a normal backup. I've yet to come across anything outside iWork that used iCloud.

6. svenn macrumors 6502

I would say this ^
    I have had similar happen to me.

7. PaulyD macrumors 6502

PaulyD

I have had the same, data was restored but not the app itself. Once i redownloaded it I had all the data again.

Good luck with quitting :)