Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week announced that developers can sign up to meet with an Apple team member to discuss the changes being made to iOS, Safari, and the App Store in the European Union.

apple-ios-app-store-safari-changes.jpeg

Developers can request a 30-minute online consultation to ask questions and provide feedback about Apple's changes. Topics of discussion include alternative distribution on iOS, alternative payments in the App Store, linking out to purchases on a webpage, new business terms, and more.

Apple is also offering in-person labs in Cork, Ireland for those who are interested in starting an alternative app marketplace.

Apple is making sweeping changes to the app ecosystem in the European Union in order to comply with the Digital Markets Act. Alternative app marketplaces can be used to install apps on the iPhone, and Apple is supporting alternative payment methods in apps across all of its App Stores.

Article Link: App Developers Can Now Sign Up for Consultations on Complicated EU App Ecosystem Changes

• Wow
Reactions: amartinez1660

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
We sure are in an increasingly complicated world… I hope Apple and the EU work together on this

Some sensible things such as USB C on all devices were pushed on Apple by the EU.

Though I doubt I’d ever want to use the side loading option… I’m happy being both in and outside apples walled garden

Apple, Microsoft/Surface, Linux and Raspberry Pi…. and I’m happy

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
It doesn’t work that way. Apple proposes the change, and the EU will decide in a month whether it meets their criteria or not. It’s like submitting a recording for an audition. You won’t know ahead of time how you would fare.

Like submitting an app to the App Store. You have to build the app and submit it before you find out if Apple wants to rip off your idea.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I just want to be able to sideload apps. I don't need another store. Android's alternate stores are just absolute trash and I don't see iOS ones being any better.
Yeah, it appears they aren't gonna allow this at all. I think EU blew it in only focusing in alternative app stores and payments.

Apple made this so convoluted and still costly that nobody will get on it.

Reactions: gusmula

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
the intend of the law/regulation is important in the EU.

Thus I think it is very likely the EU will force Apple to make further adjustments to Apple's DMA/DSA "compliance" and/or they'll adapt their rules.

And just to be clear, it's only complicated, because Apple made it so.
Apple wants to keep as much profits and control, while making alternatives unappealing as much as possible obviously for business reasons.

Hopefully it will end up at least like MacOS, where you can stay in the walled Apple garden if you wish, but alternatively can install any app you want from other sources if you desire to to so.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And just to be clear, it's only complicated, because Apple made it so.
I would too, if I ran an App Store and were told to stop collecting 30% from developers for no reason other than "just because". Do you expect me to just roll over and capitulate without a fight?

The DMA is really not a good piece of legislation, and I don't think it should be justified or normalised. Apple must not only allow EU competitors to leverage the iOS platform for free, but also ensure that competitors don’t act in bad faith to harm Apple users (because that would affect a key selling point of Apple products). It's ridiculous.

The DMA should be called out for what it is - an attempt by EU officials to slow down a handful of U.S. companies in order to give homegrown companies a heads-up. It's really just protectionism by another name.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
It not just that. Apple not allow many class of apps to be installed. One example would be web engine. What is the point to re develop Firefox to run on WebKit. Another important class of apps is firewall. Example of little snitch. While it run perfectly on apple silicone macOS it is not allowed to be run on iPhone. And list goes on

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Some sensible things such as USB C on all devices were pushed on Apple by the EU.
This is what’s surprising people. “Apple folded on USB-C, but not this?” Apple moved on from lightning almost to the day that they said they would move on from lightning over 10 years ago, but many people still think the EU made them. Even though the EU USB-C deadline isn’t until the end of THIS year.

If one accepts that the EU didn’t “get their way” on that, then it makes sense that they’re not going to “get their way” on this either.

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
This is what’s surprising people. “Apple folded on USB-C, but not this?” Apple moved on from lightning almost to the day that they said they would move on from lightning over 10 years ago, but many people still think the EU made them. Even though the EU USB-C deadline isn’t until the end of THIS year.

If one accepts that the EU didn’t “get their way” on that, then it makes sense that they’re not going to “get their way” on this either.
Getting their way isn’t part of it. It is the law, you comply or withdraw from the market

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Getting their way isn’t part of it. It is the law, you comply or withdraw from the market
I wonder if Apple pulled their stuff for a while how the owners of Apple products would feel? Would EU law makers backtrack?

I think universal power cables are a great idea.
But forcing a company to open the store… are Sony, Microsoft and a Nintendo going to do the same now? I’d like VLC on my Switch :)

But even if other app stores exist I have no interest in using them.
I doubt all that many paying users are going to as well. Pirated software maybe and there’s no money in that. ;)

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
I wonder if Apple pulled their stuff for a while how the owners of Apple products would feel? Would EU law makers backtrack?

I think universal power cables are a great idea.
But forcing a company to open the store… are Sony, Microsoft and a Nintendo going to do the same now? I’d like VLC on my Switch :)

But even if other app stores exist I have no interest in using them.
I doubt all that many paying users are going to as well. Pirated software maybe and there’s no money in that. ;)
You may have no choice if the likes of Spotify say that in the EU we will only be on an alternate store and not Apple’s. Unlikely but possible.

• Haha

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I just want the ability to purchase stuff in apps without doing the two step process of using app website and then downloading it in the app. Don’t see what user benefit Apple is providing that requires them to take a cut of purchasing via the app. I don’t feel like giving Apple even more data on me by using Apple pay.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
No one really needs a second app store. As previously written, users may be using illegal software. My personal opinion is that they are looking for a way to permanently hack the iphone to get the data etc. EU is completely corrupt. They just want people in Europe to be easier to screen who have a different opinion and who post / say it publicly. Remain carefull!!!

Dave13

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
Louny
I don't care about alternative stores or illegal software. As a developer I just want to install my secret app on my device without Apple knowing about it. (Yeah, the app will serve for criminal purposes, but don't worry, the incoming EU regulation criminalizes things like machine learning)
I really hate the EU and regulations, but iOS lacks sideloading. I think Apple deserves a slap for this.

I'm really interested to see how this turns out. "Give people a finger, and they'll take your whole hand."

Reactions: amartinez1660

kiv.atso

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2021
We sure are in an increasingly complicated world… I hope Apple and the EU work together on this

Though I doubt I’d ever want to use the side loading option… I’m happy being both in and outside apples walled garden

Apple, Microsoft/Surface, Linux and Raspberry Pi…. and I’m happy
I hate EU for doing this. I have lots of lightning cables. Now I’m supposed to spend on new cables for each room. I wouldn’t mind if EU provided cashback for this.

• Haha
Reactions: hacky

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
I would too, if I ran an App Store and were told to stop collecting 30% from developers for no reason other than "just because". Do you expect me to just roll over and capitulate without a fight?

The DMA is really not a good piece of legislation, and I don't think it should be justified or normalised. Apple must not only allow EU competitors to leverage the iOS platform for free, but also ensure that competitors don’t act in bad faith to harm Apple users (because that would affect a key selling point of Apple products). It's ridiculous.

The DMA should be called out for what it is - an attempt by EU officials to slow down a handful of U.S. companies in order to give homegrown companies a heads-up. It's really just protectionism by another name.
If that’s the rules of the EU, they need to stick if they want access to that market. Such a comment can only come from a topical American where the politics don’t give af about consumer rights

@kiv.atso Oh sure. I forgot how expensive Usb C cables are…🤦🏻‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: hacky
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.