App Development & Apple

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by wxgeek, Dec 24, 2011.

1. wxgeek macrumors newbie

I've programmed in everything from Fortran to Basic to "C" to Tcl/Tk. I am
    new to Macs. I am currently learning Objective-C and IOS app development
    via Xcode. I would like to develop some apps for my Iphone and Ipad.
    I have no intention of distributing them to anyone else. Do I
    still have to get all of the various certificates from Apple and pay them
    $99 bucks to register as a developer so that I can install them on my devices?

Thanks!
    Jim

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

3. firewood macrumors 604

If you plan on running the stock OS or the latest OS on your iOS device, then yes, you need to get installation certificates from Apple, which only come with the $99/annum iOS Developer enrollment, in order to develop and install apps on your device. Device security is the part of the price of helping reduce malware on everybody else's iOS devices.

4. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Yes because apple will have to supply you with your own Encryption Keys so you can run your program on the device.

This helps cut down on Malware and Virus, And if things get really bad they know who you are and they have all your information to forward to the FBI. But it will never get that serious because they hand check every application to supply to the app store.

5. wxgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Its rather disappointing that Apple keeps such "firm"
    control on the development process...I was hoping for a more open attitude.
    Nobody wants the Linux "Wild West" environment...but it seems that Apple
    should be able to offer something in between...assuming the developer will
    not release the app for distribution.

I realize this is the iPhone/Ipad programming forum...but is the process
    essentially the same for Mac apps? That is:

1) Pay Apple the $99 and register as a developer.

2) Use the IOS SDK to write your app.

3) Get the certificates from Apple

4) Submit the app for their approval

5) Then I can load it on my Mac?

Jim

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No, the process is not the same for the Mac. Developing Mac apps does not require a paid developer account. You do need to pay the $99/year fee if you want to sell your app on the Mac App Store, but if it's just for your own use, or your distributing the app outside the app store (either free or paid), you don't need to pay Apple anything, or even register with them. All you'll need is a copy of Xcode, which is free to download from the Mac App Store.

Also note that the iOS SDK is for developing iOS apps for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. On the Mac, you generally write apps using the Cocoa framework(s), though of course there are lots of other options too. For example, you can write command-line tools in C using the standard POSIX APIs, you can use Qt to write cross platform apps, MacRuby to write GUI apps using Ruby and Cocoa, just to name a few. You can even get a Fortran compiler, various BASIC implementations, and Tcl/Tk for Mac OS X. In short, you have many more options for developing Mac software than you do writing iOS software. Of course, the best way to write "real" Mac apps is to use Objective-C and Cocoa...

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Develop for android instead...

If you write code thats not for distribution, Apple does not have to approve it.

8. firewood macrumors 604

It's open to anyone who pays for an enrollment. Consider it part of the cost of the device. Non-programmer (L)users get a $99 discount. Don't be one of them.

9. xStep macrumors 68000

As mentioned, there is no registration required for Mac development and distribution, unless you want to distribute via the Mac App store.

As for the list, that isn't even right for personal iPhone development. Number 4, Apple's approval, is not required to distribute on your own device. That approval process is only required for distributing to the App store.

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

One thing people are leaving off about Mac development is you need to pay the $99 and distribute through the Mac App Store if you'd like to use iCloud in your app.

11. wxgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

OK:

So if I understand the replies correctly:

1) I still have register as a developer and pay the $99.(Paying the money
    was never a big deal)

2) I develop the app and I can install it on my Iphone/Ipad
    w/o having to go through the approval process.

Does that still mean that I have to get certificates and keys from Apple?

Jim

12. tyche macrumors 6502

Yes. And the certs expire regularly so you need to keep renewing during your 1 year subscription. If you don't pay the next year your cert will have expired and you're out of luck.

13. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's what the $99 is really all about.

14. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

As a registered developer you can also get an Adhoc profile to build your app against which lets you distribute to up to 100 devices without going through approval process. Although you do need to know the device owners reasonably well.

15. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

I understand Apple uses a more Lock Down Approach, But its to protect there customers, Customers Trust Apple and the last thing they want is there information to be comprised due to spyware and virus.

That Why in the Last 4 Years Since IPhone Launch hardly any users have had a virus. Compared to Android.

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Letting developers test on hardware without requiring a 99$ yearly fee does not harm the customers.

If I just want to write a quick app for myself, why should I pay Apple for the privilege ?

17. firewood macrumors 604

The digital signing certificates are what one spends the $99/annum on so that they can install apps they build on their iOS devices (up to 100 devices). The keys, you generate yourself on your Mac and send to Apple in order to get matching certificates. Then you use their website to create mobile provision files that match both your certificate, your app and your devices. The provision files tell your iOS device that the app is really yours, and not some random strangers, and is thus OK to install.