App development platforms

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dwfaust, Oct 29, 2016.

1. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Has anyone experience with any of the app building platforms? We're looking to develop an app for our church. The ones that we've looked at all offer content management components that we can use to push out new content without having to go through the AppStore review process continually.

Most of what we've found primarily focus on churches, schools and fraternal organizations, and pricing is comparable.

So far, we've looked at:
    • ROAR App - appears to have been abandoned by the company, at least to some extent.
    • GoodBarber - extremely customizable, but based in France, so prime time US support is difficult.
    • Subsplash - AKA "The Church App" is focused more on media and podcast, but offers the ability for other content.
    • Shoutem - this appears to be a newer option in the field.
    Again, I'm looking for feedback and recommendations on the above options or others with which you may have had experience.

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

As much as I prefer apps this might be a case where a web site would be easier. You won't have push notifications but you can use emails and even texts pretty easily. As a bonus if you use a platform like Firebase you would probably be on the free tier so there's no cost other than the domain costs of around $12 annually + a few cents for each email or text if you use those features.