app development

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gonnabuyamac, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

not sure where to post this question. do you have to develop iphone apps on a mac, or are you able to do it on windows?

...this is for a friend. i don't own any windows computers. ;)

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

you need a mac because you need Xcode 3.1 to do it and so far app hasn't ported that to windows yet

3. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's helpful. My friend will be sorely disappointed since he bought a Touch specifically for the purpose of developing some apps. Maybe I can finally convince him to get a Mac now.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I'll be surprise your friend would know what he's doing if he buys a Touch before asking the question.

5. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

He's actually a really good software developer for Windows... he just doesn't understand the Mac mindset... nor does he like it. :rolleyes:

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Uh...good programmers wouldn't care about what language they are using.

If he went out and purchased a Touch with intent to program it and not having done any research, I can't imagine him to be good at many things.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

For sales through the App Store, he needs a Mac Intel Duo, running Leopard.

I think the original compiler tools for jailbroken phones allowed using even older Macs or PCs.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hmm. Really?

Good contract programmers don't care what language they're forced to use by the customer... but I'd say everyone else has a favorite language(s) for various reasons.

For instance, I wouldn't say that Objective-C would be my first choice for rapid development of a mobile app. Unless, of course, forced into it as with Apple. :)

It would be nice if Apple had more language choices, to bring in more programmers.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Of course there are favorites, but that's not the point I am trying to make. Computer science doesn't focus on any specific language, it's your employer that does. If OP's friend is a good programmer, he/she should not have any problem making the transition to Objective-C.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Having developed mobile apps using at least 4 different language/IDE environments, I would say that the XCode/Obj-C/Cocoa experience ranks up there with the best for anything but fairly simple apps and ported apps.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, but it doesn't mean they have to care for doing so.

I'm not too far from having a half century of computer programming and hardware design.

Since my first hard/software design when I was 12 years old in 1965, I've lost count of the number of circuits and languages which I've used (or invented) and that are now obsolete. As much as I enjoy it, learning a new language's oddities wastes precious time.

Thanks, that proves my point: each person has their own favored environments. For instance, I and my cronies often can work much faster with text-based tools than with graphical IDEs.

Regards.