App distribution for Apple Developer Confidential

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by CodeJingle, Oct 30, 2011.

1. CodeJingle macrumors regular

Some aspects of software development are 'Apple Developer Confidential' and can only be shared between official Apple developers.

So I'm not sure how I would be able to distribute an iOS App or Mac OS X App about developing Apps for iOS and Mac OS X ... I mean iTunes iOS App Store and Mac App Store are ideal places but I don't know how I would enforce a restriction that the App only be used by official Apple Developers.

Unless there is some example code somewhere for verifying Apple Developer status.

Any ideas?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You need to contact Developer Services, but I suspect you are out of luck and Apple is not going to let you distribute any of their materials in your application.

3. CodeJingle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I am contacting Apple about it. Was wondering if anyone else had gone through something similar. It isn't 'materials' per say, certain software technologies or API sets may be Apple Developer Confidential, so for me to discuss them openly amongst non-developers is the problem. So in my own words and my own documentation and tutorials designed from scratch by myself I still cannot distribute if they cover something Apple has deemed 'Apple Developer Confidential'. Unless I am only distributing to Apple Developers.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why dont you just go to the ADC discussions and share them there ? Is there some reason you need to make an app to do it ?

5. CodeJingle thread starter macrumors regular

If someone wanted to create a new class at the local college to teach iOS development and they hired me to create an App as an interactive equivalent to a textbook how in the world would a discussion forum suffice?

That was just an example though and isn't actually the internal context of my request, I figure it makes the point though. It may be better to simply answer the question asked rather than to change the subject or provide an answer to a different question.

I guess if I was an actual Apple employee rather than merely an Apple Developer then that might be easier. iTunes has a program for Companies developing Apps for internal distribution, they also have a B2B App program, I could look into those, though it still leaves a pretty big hole compared to all Apple developers.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Clearly the Learn to Program iPhone books are able to deal with this successfully, so I would use those and the Stanford public podcasts as examples of what you can do.

Good luck