App Expose in Lion-only show windows in current desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Saturn1217, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if there is a way in Lion to limit app expose to showing only the windows in the current desktop (as opposed to all desktops)

In Snow Leopard there was a very helpful terminal command that would allow you to do this:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-show-windows-in-other-spaces -bool FALSE

But in Lion this command doesn't work. I like to use spaces to separate different tasks that I am doing rather than apps. Ex: Work on one desktop, casual browsing on another, particular research topic on another etc. Expose is great for finding windows but I think we all appreciate that the more windows you have the less useful it becomes. Separating my work into multiple desktops is a way to reduce the number of windows I have to sort through but in Lion when I activate app expose I will always see ALL of the open windows for an app. What's worse I because there are more windows to sort through I often accidentally click on one that actually belongs to another space and then I am yanked to that space...very disorienting and I wish apple would give an option for this to NEVER happen. I NEVER want to be in another space unless I specifically take the action to go there!

This combined with the fact that mission control doesn't really let you see much when you have more than a few windows for a single app open makes it really difficult to take full advantage of spaces (IMHO).

Basically I was just wondering if I was missing a terminal command, or if anyone had any ideas for a way to fix this in Lion...or perhaps it is just another thing I will have to learn to let go...(I really really hope ML is good because even after months of using Lion I still find myself missing SL)

2. bhaight macrumors newbie

Any Responses? Pleeeeeese!

Gosh. I have been trying to resolve this issue forever and still haven't come to a conclusion. I know exactly how you feel! I'm surprised that I haven't found much more information online. We can't be the only two that feel this way.

Have you been able to resolve this issue? I'm open to upgrading to 10.8 if need be.