App folder...different color than other folders in dock?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by enigma2k, Aug 25, 2011.

1. enigma2k macrumors regular

Hi,

I have dragged the App folder from Finder into the dock for fast access but strangely the color of the folder is different from the others.

With another Lion system I have setup this issue didn't occur.

Anybody knows a fix to this?

Attached Files:

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

That's the first thing I change when I setup a Mac, those blue folders just look terrible compared to the other icons in the dock.

Attached Files:

3. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

I like your icons. :)

where did you get them?

I am wondering, however, why I got different blue shades... Wasn't the case for another Lion system I have set up.

4. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Just search Google Images by keyword-applications icon, downloads icon etc.
    Replace your icons and you won't have to worry about the different shades of blue in your folder icons.

5. godzilla1200 macrumors member

Actually, the Applications folder is the right color. The other two are the ones that are different. I don't know what it might be though. The idea of changing icons is the best, I do that too for a lot of folders and icons.

6. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Are you running a Wide Gamut monitor with a ICC ColorSync profile by chance?

If you are, the dock- for some reason utterly beyond me- "caches" the un-corrected version of the icon (so the ColorSync profile does not apply to it).

In this case, the app folder is what the other two folders SHOULD look like, because it was dragged into the dock after you enabled your monitor profile.

If you drag the Documents and Downloads icons off the dock, then re-add them from the Finder, they'll have the same colour as the App folder. I had the exact same issue in both 10.6 and 10.7.

-SC

7. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

wow thanks for clearing up this mystery!

----------

Could not find the same App icon and download folder as yours. I found a similar one but it doesn't look as good.

any chance you can point me to your source?

8. Tiki35, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Tiki35 macrumors 6502

9. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

I've got the same problem again with all dock icons. As soon as I click on them, the app starts and the icon itself gets a slightly different color tone.

This only happens while connected to my Del 2708 display.

How can I permanently fix this? Do I have to switch the monitor to a specific profile within OSX?

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

Just wondering why you wanted to have the Application folder placed on the Dock for 'fast access' when Launchpad gives you arguably an even faster way to access all of your Applications with one click?

Just bringing this up in case you didn't realize what Launchpad did/was. You may very well have good reasons to have your Applications folder on the Dock.