app folders are different

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koopa35, Jun 3, 2009.

1. koopa35 macrumors 6502

can someone help with my issue. when i click go and then apps it shows all of the apps i have. but if i go to my home folfer and select apps they show diff ones. they are on the same hard drive i reindex spotlight with no luck :(

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is completely normal - those are two separate folders. The first one is the global Applications folder, located at the root of your drive. The other one is the user-specific Applications folder, which doesn't exist by default unless you created it, and is found in your home folder.

3. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

really? before my apps were all in same folder root/user

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You mean when you do this:
    [​IMG]
    you get into the Applications folder on Macintosh HD > Applications, but when you do this:
    [​IMG]
    not all of your applications appear?

You can use Path Bar to see if they are both the same folders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or do you mean something else entirely by going to your Home folder?

PS: I just saw the attachments of yours after I finished posting.

I don't know of a user specific Applications folder, as there is none in one's home directory.
    Only if oneself created one of course.

5. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

i have not created any home folder. its just the folders os x creates. im pretty sure all my apps were the same across the home folder and the root folder. i dont know what happened :confused:

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect that the Applications folder in your sidebar points to a different place than the Go -> Applications in Finder method does. This is easily fixed, though. First, poof the offending link in your sidebar. Then, go to Finder Preferences and enable Applications in the sidebar.

7. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

that didnt work. here is the info on the folders.

edit: disregard last image

Attached Files:

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean the image with the Info windows on your Home folder and the Applications folder?

9. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

Could it be due to the fact. Some apps I just dragged into my app folder. IWork I installed and the 7zip app was dragged. All I want is to have root application folder be same as user application folder as before

sorry if grammer is bad. I'm on iPhone and I'm at work

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are "both" Application folders at the same place and have the same size?

By default almost all applications get installed into the Applications folder (Macintosh HD > Applications), and the ones you drag, can be dragged anywhere. So if you haven't dragged them to the Applications folder (Macintosh HD > Applications), they are somewhere else. If so, you can drag them safely to the systemwide Applications (Macintosh HD > Applications) folder.

Also, is the Application shortcut in your Finder's sidebar linked to the Applications (Macintosh HD > Applications) folder or somewhere else?

Also, did the Path Bar help you somehow?

11. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

side bar was no help. I'll check other when get home

12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The answer is simpler than you're making it. There is a difference between the folder:
    /Applications
    and the folder:
    /Users/Geezy/Applications

You have two Application folders, one at the root of the drive, and one in your home folder. (exactly as wrldwzrd89 originally stated)

Som installers create a ~/Applications folder when they install. This restricts that App to one user. Apparently you had an installer do this, and then you "drag-installed" additional programs into this new Apps folder.

Just select all the apps in your /Users/Geezy/Applications folder and drag them to the Applications in the sidebar. That'll put em all in the same place (/Applications).

Then you can remove the empty /Users/Geezy/Applications if you want.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Really, I have never seen that, but the only applications I installed for one user were System Preferences panes.

What kind of software does that?

14. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

sir you were correct thank you. so my question is now when i install apps will it go to root folder?

and a separate ? can i install os x on my second hd i have in my mac and make it non bootable. what i want to do is install all apps on that drive and use ssd for os. also will there be a way to map my home folder from the ssd to the hd so when things save they save to hd instead of ssd?

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

System Preferences > Accounts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click the button "Choose" right of the Home Directory field.

16. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried that before and i couldn't log in. my other ? was will it be wise to install os x on my second 160 hd for all apps?

ps: thanx to all that is/have helped. you all taught me somethings today and throught my time on this site :apple::cool::D

17. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

i didnt want to make a new thread so ill use this one.

i got my home folder to switch to new path works almost fine. 1 thing, when the new home folder is on my second hdd i dont have permissions to access folders. i tried to save a doc and it said i dont have permission. i have to manually add it. my question is is there a way to have all this done automatically? if so how do i do it.