App for American football rules

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by From A Buick 8, Sep 26, 2012.

1. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok i will admit, i know nothing about football. My son is playing high school football and i am looking for an app that will help with the rules.

2. Death-T, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

There is iReferee (a bit poorly rated) and Sports Rule Books which are both free apps, but the better and more straight-forward app solution to what you're looking for is American Football -Understanding the Game, which cost 99 cents. It's easy to understand (for Football newbs if you will) and has pictures and everything. You can also go to http://www.nfl.com/rulebook to read the NFL rule book, and this page also has a free PDF download which you can read on your iDevice.

The penalties which are levied against players for certain offenses as well as a few other subtle rules vary slightly across the NFL, college football, and generic high school football, but the basic rules of the game are still the same no matter what. Once you've watched a number of games you'll easily understand the most basic rules and strategy of the game, while the different penalties (holding, pass interference, face mask, illegal formation, etc) can take a while to soak in.

3. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thank you, i do not mind paying for a good app. So how close does high school football mirror the NFL rules, i assume it is close.

4. Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

They're the same really--nothing truly game changing. I don't pretend to know a whole lot about high school football in and of itself, but if you can follow pro or college ball then you'll have no problem with the high school games. There are a few differences such as shorter quarters.

Here's a list of the most notable discrepancies between high school and pro/college ball from Wikipedia.

As you can see, the only differences are a few changes in quarter length, kickoff line, and some penalties are slightly different or more severe to protect student safety and the like. There are few procedural differences between high school and pro football. You can get a good feel of the game yourself if you tune in to a game on TV or even play a demo of Madden or something, though that sort of thing will probably bore you if it's not your cup of tea. lol.