App for basic trimming of sound files (cutting out middle too)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doju, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I need a basic app (not some amazingly expensive app with a million functions) that lets me edit an .MP3 file and cut out part of the middle, the ends, and export it.

Quicktime X would be perfect, but you can't edit out the middle.

2. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Rogue Amoeba's Fission does basic editing work on mp3 files natively. It costs $32 dollars.

Audacity is freeware, but require a bit more setup fiddling and you have to import/export the mp3s, but free, y'know. The beta tends to be stable and has notably more/better features than the release version.

I use both of these on different occasions.

3. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

A few more thoughts.

Audacity has the free thing going for it which is nice. Its noise reduction algorithm is solid and I tend to use it over the one in Soundtrack Pro which hits that "underwater" sounding aliasing much quicker. It is, however, not a pretty interface and can be a bit clunky to maneuver around.

Fission is all :apple: pretty. RA does nice work with their apps. It's quick and easy. The fact that it handles mp3s natively without needing to transcode coming in and going out is a solid--meaning no loss in quality for the edit and no time spent transcoding (great when working with 2 hour files). It is also really easy to make iphone ringtones with it.

Couple it with RA's Audio Hijack Pro and you have a quick and capable setup for recording podcasts, radio shows, internet audio streams, skype, whatever. There is a discount for purchasing both together.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Audacity can do that too as long as you install the MP3 library plugin.