App for Contacts

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Angelo921, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Is there an app that allows you to sync your contacts from your iphone? When I had a smartphone with Windows mobile on there I used a program called dashwire and microsoft my phone which allowed me to keep my contacts in sync.

any help is appreciated.

thanks
    Angelo

2. Appdict macrumors regular

I believe you can use Mac OS X's Address Book and sync via iTunes, or try using Microsoft Outlook for PC. I can't confirm the PC part as I am all Mac.

3. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks but i was hoping for an iphone app that would do it.

4. ebika macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I understand what you're after... OTA contacts sync to somewhere? There's MobileMe, Exchange, Google (as an Exchange account). Those will all sync contacts into the cloud when you add them as accounts in the settings panel. Seamless contact syncing is the primary reason I keep a MobileMe account active.

5. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont want to pay for MobileMe. Im aware of Google as an option synching with contacts but its sloppy. I dont want my most recent people I send an email to from my desktop gmail ending up on my iphone. Microsoft offers a product called "My Phone" that is unfortunately only for windows mobile phones which allows to set a time each day which it automatically syncs your phones contacts with those on their server.

6. vitog123 macrumors 6502

ive been looking for one as well.. at the very least a dedicated program that has the same labels.
    Ive tried outlook on a pc and it puts #'s and emails in the wrong places. I ended up putting everything in manually. Im screwed if the phone dies because i dont want to do that again.

7. ebika macrumors 6502

I agree, the google sync isn't great. I turned off the setting that adds recent email addresses to the contacts. I know $65/yr isn't for everyone, but really nice contacts sync + back to my mac is worth it to me.

8. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where is that setting at to turn off adding most recent email addresses? I didnt know about that.

thanks

9. dazey macrumors 6502

As far as I know, if you use apples Contacts app on the mac, there is no way to sync an iphone to this over the air. This even includes if you are using snow leopard server and are running cardDav as there is currently no way to sync iphones to snow leopard server. This is my understanding anyway, I am after a way to do it as well. I have access to Exchange but don't want to sync all my contacts to that and that won't sync up Apple contacts up anyway. I am not paying for mobile me.

10. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

ive been using google sync and it doesnt do this

11. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

You are correct, it does NOT do this at all. In google contacts if it auto adds a contact because you've emailed them, it adds that person to the 'all contacts' label. This is generally not an issue as with gsync, the iphone only syncs with a group called 'My Contacts' and these random added email address contacts are NOT in that group. It is sort of a moot issue really. If you never want to see these email only auto added contacts, just don't click on all contacts... when I add contacts to the iphone, they are in the My Contacts group.

I don't want to pay for mobileme either... Sounds to me like you have never used google sync so how do you know it is sloppy? It is in reality far from sloppy, it is actually very clean and seamless and as I've stated above the email contact thing does not transfer over to the phone ever.

12. temetrepo macrumors member

temetrepo

13. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what I was looking for. How much do you like it? Right now its not letting me create an id since site wont connect http://my.funambol.com/ but I will try later.

thank you

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I also use Funambol. Works great and has no spam.

15. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

After i registered my phone online I got message "You have 90 days to use the sync and push services"

Is there a charge after the 90 days for Funambol for synching my contacts?