App for desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lynkynpark86, Aug 25, 2010.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

Long story short, I need to change my desktop background without use of the preference pane. I have tried SpaceSuit, but you have to keep the app open at all times. I have tried WallSaver, but I can't figure out how to have just an image, not a screen saver. If there are any programs like this, please help me out.

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Right click on image.
    "Select as Desktop Background"
    Done.

3. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

My computer is company-owned and I cannot use the mac os x background feature at all. It needs to be a separate application, there is no other way that I know of.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

boot into single user mode (CMD-S) type
    Code:
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    reboot
    you can now set up a new user with administrator rights and change the administrator password, so you can do whatever you want :)

of wait, you'll get fired for doing that...

edit:
    if your computer is at home you could do that then upgrade your current account to admin with it, then delete it again - wiola! :D
    the root password will remain what you specified after deleting /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and rebooting

5. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

I believe Hyperspaces lets you use different wallpapers without going into the System Prefs, and you can use different walls with different spaces.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

its a crap app, needs to run all the time, uses system prefs to change... well prefs...

7. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually have the admin password, but I am supposed to use my own non-admin account. My machine is pretty heavily-modified. Not even the admin account can enable the root account. And even if it could, I'm not going to go that far to change my desktop.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

well if you have the admin pass just upgrade your own account to admin?

9. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I use Geektool to put images on my desktop. You can do all kinds of crazy customization that way.