App for detailed (!) battery statistics needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by milanwraith, Apr 3, 2015.

1. milanwraith macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I bought my Macbook Pro (13 inch, late 2014) last November and I'm loving it so far. It's my first OSX device and getting used to it was easier than I would have tought ;)

Now I got a problem. So far, I never really took a closer look on my battery performance because I didn't feel I need to.
    But recently I got the feeling, that my battery health isn't quite as good as it should be since I sometimes need to plug it in after 2-3 hours after minor use. But when I try to measure my battery time, I am experiencing some things that bother me.

First of all, after a few hours of battery use, the counter in the Energy tab of the Activity Monitor starts showing weird numbers, like 11,000 hours and more (see pic below), which makes it impossible for me to find out how long the battery was actually used.

Next thing: even if this bug wouldn't occur, it would be extremely inconvenient to find out the pure using time (I'm talking about something like the "screen on time" in Android devices), because the only "in use" counter adds the standby time.
    I checked out most of the Battery stat tools I could find, but all of them pretty much just show values that OSX shows themselves already.
    No detailed graphs (for more than 12 hours..), no values how much impact the screen use (thus, the brightness) has, etc..
    Where do I find those stats? It surprises me that nobody else seems to miss those features.

Maybe someone has a tip.

PS: For the 'weird numbers' bug, I am planning to visit an Apple Store soon. I already reset SMC and PRAM, but it still gets buggy, so maybe my battery is damaged.

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. milanwraith thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha seriously? Thanks for not reading my post.

4. milanwraith thread starter macrumors newbie

[push]
    Yeah, I see that I chose a stupid thread title.
    Nobody with similar issues?
    I updated to 10.10.3 today. Bug still occurs.
    I visited an Apple Store, they told me to back up my data and then they're gonna re-flash the OS (nothing I couldn't do myself). I just don't wanna spent 100 bucks for an external HDD now when I can't be sure that the problem is fixed afterwards. So if anyone ever experience a similar bug, please let me know.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even absent any bug or hardware problem, the battery time remaining indicator is extremely unreliable, since it represents an estimate based on the minute-to-minute power demands of your battery, which are constantly changing over the duration of a discharge cycle.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. milanwraith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link, quite informative.

However I'd consider myself an advanced user, I'm aware of how to save battery and I am used to tweak all my devices until I get the result I'm aiming at. I'm just new to Macs, but the rules are the same.

I'm just really annoyed by the buggy time counter since it gives me the feeling that something isn't alright. Did anyone ever experienced this or heard/ read from someone experiencing this?