App For Family

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Petermon21, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Petermon21 macrumors newbie

Newbie question here: I wanted to see if if was possible to create an app that would be available for download for a few selected users. For instance, if I built a story book for a family and it would be downloadable just by them on their iPad and without having it on the Appstore? Is there a way to create it for them to view it on their iPad and appear as an icon? Or is the solution to just create it as an ebook? Thanks

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Interesting question. Though I assume you can create an app that can be "sideloaded" from a site other than the App Store, I'm sure your family would have to have jailbroken iPads (more and more rare these days) to access it.

Have you considered creating a website or use one of the many "sharing" sites on the web to hold your content and then let your family and friends "bookmark" the site and place it on their homescreens?

3. Ashwood11, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Do you have a developer account? Are you capable of coding an app for iOS? Apps, if approved by Apple, for the App Store are available for everyone.

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

He doesn't want it on the app store.. It helps to read the entire thread before posting.

5. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I read the entire port and I did say "if". What is your solution?

6. Petermon21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a developer account but I was thinking from a business standpoint if I was creating all these apps or books for private parties they wouldn't want them on the app store, just on the family's iPad or phones. It would be a private party app basically.

That's something I haven't thought of and you can also make these private as you can with a youtube video as well.

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you want to sell these to individuals rather than make them for your own family - maybe Apple's enterprise program would help? It lets businesses make internal apps not available on the app store.

http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

8. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

It's avaible now...It's called Face Book......