App for File Synchronization (on a Folder by Folder basis)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simpleCoder, Aug 5, 2010.

1. simpleCoder macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I've done a fair amount of Google research and have only found threads that end with OP's being stumped or dissatisfied. So I thought this would be worth asking myself.

Does anyone know of an App that would allow me to synchronize / backup certain folders to an external hard drive, or even simply to another location on the same computer? Time Machine is not what I'm looking for...

For example, I really love DropBox. I use it on all of my Macs and it's wonderful, but it's not too great with large files, etc... But I would love an app that allowed for folder-based synchornization to an external HD.

I've read a few threads about Automator solutions, but it seemed a lot of the OP's ended up confused. Also I've heard of rsynch, but I'm a bit afraid of the terminal.

Any tips or links are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. chown33 macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2009
    Carbon Copy Cloner can do backups of selected items. It's free. (Google it).
  3. simpleCoder thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2010
    Hi chown33, thanks for the reply :)

Carbon Copy Cloner looks great, but I think it might be overkill for what I'm looking for. I don't need to make disk images or clone entire sectors... just simple folder synchronizing.
  4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2009
    chown33 is correct - you don't need to use the full clone facilities in CCC, just select the folder(s) you want to sync and the target.

You can also save this as a scheduled task to save having to re-enter the details.