App for G5 that makes 2 displays act as 1?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LAHegarty, Jun 8, 2017.

1. LAHegarty, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

LAHegarty macrumors member

LAHegarty

I want to have 2 monitors act like they are 1 monitor, so 2 screens spanning together as if they are one so I can full-screen software & video with ease...
    Or in other words, Dual Monitors act as one Virtual monitor.

Does anyone know of any software that does this? Or work around.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

None that I am aware of. There might be something proprietary on the PC side of things, IDK. You're the first person I've ever heard pose the question.

Might do some Googling later.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Is this different than mirroring? I guess I don't understand exactly what the result is in comparison to extended desktop vs mirroring.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Matrox makes adapters that can do that. I do not know how compatible they are with Leopard.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes, it's different. What OP wants to do is have two displays act as one display. He wants to stretch content from one monitor to the next and have it act as if it's on one monitor.

6. LAHegarty thread starter macrumors member

LAHegarty

It's not something an adaptor would be able to do and it's not mirroring or extended desktop.

I have a high res monitor with dual inputs that can display a side by side monitor setup, it would be cool as f if I could have it setup as a whole screen with the dock in the middle, etc... rather the 2 separate screens side by side...

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Matrox adapters do that. That's what they are designed to do. Look into them.

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

But the combined bezels of the two monitors will create a central gap?

dualhead2go_digital_me.jpg

9. GoopnyPants macrumors newbie

In windows you can do that by using amd eyefinity or nvidia surround. I don't know any app that can do it in os x and I think it needs a video card that can support that technology

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The Matrox adapters are good kit. I've only used them on Windows however...

I'll see if I can find an old one at work tomorrow for testing...

11. foxlet macrumors 6502

foxlet

I've used the Matrox Triple-Head2Go with an iMac back in the Snow Leopard days, so I wouldn't imagine it would be incompatible with a Leopard Mac too, just as long as the GPU has DVI and/or can support the resolution for it.

12. LAHegarty thread starter macrumors member

LAHegarty

Guys, I'm sure this product is great and all but it's not what I'm looking to do it needs to be 2 DVI outputs setup side by side as though it is 1 whole screen, not 1 DVI split as 2 screens that's missing the point of what I am trying to achieve, the monitor I am using has to greater a resolution for DVI to work hence why I need to link to DVI resolutions together side by side to act as one independent screen. I'm sure there'll be a bit PPC software out there to achieve this or some kind of hack... We will see.

13. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

What’s the difference? You want two DVI outputs as one, and from what I can tell, that’s what the adapter does?

14. LAHegarty, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

LAHegarty thread starter macrumors member

LAHegarty

Using the adaptor would not work because the max resolution of DVI is lower than that of the monitor I want to use.

Imagen having a 3440x1440 monitor and using the adaptor and given DVI dual-link limitations of 2560×1600... How are you going to get that adaptor to work, the answer is you wouldn't get it to work.

Now using my method of 2x DVI's plugged into the same 3440x1440 monitor and using the monitors PBP (Picture by Picture) function which separates the screen in half displaying inputs from 2 different DVI souces, each source at 1720x1440 (Well within DVI capabilities) which are now side by side on the monitor forming the full 3440x1440 resolution, now I would like to make the side by side monitors act as one monitor using software or hack method.

Back to my original question, does this software exist...?

This video shows PDP in action, instead of having a PC and Mac it would be one PowerMac G5 Quad using the method above.

Hopes that has cleared things up and shows/explains what I'm looking to achieve. ;)

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell