App for IP Routing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DennisVR, May 10, 2011.

1. DennisVR macrumors member

I regularly have to connect to a VPN via a 3rd party VPN client(Forticlient SSL VPN) The annoying part is that it routes all my traffic to the VPN. So i don't have access to my email or internet while connected to the VPN.

I'm looking for something that allows me to specify which IP address i want to route towards the VPN. I haven't been able to use Mac OSX built in VPN client or VPN Tracker to connect to that VPN.

So is there any app out there which allows me to easily configure my IP routing ?

2. jtara macrumors 65816

Maybe the "route" command will work. Or maybe not.

Depends on how your third-party VPN client works. If it sets up an additional local IP address as a gateway address, route will probably do the job for you. If it simply sets up a "tap" or "filter" into the IP stack, you're out of luck. In that case, you'll have to look to the VPN vendor for any internal support for your configuration. But I can't imagine that they wouldn't support routing only part of the IP address space to the VPN. (I dunno how VPN software typically works on OSX.)

Go into a terminal window, and do "netstat -r" before and after running the VPN client. See if anything changed. In particular, note the default route.

If the default route changed, what you will want to do is change the default route back to the original (before running the VPN software) and add a route for the IP address range of the network you are VPNing-in to.

3. DennisVR thread starter macrumors member

When connecting to the VPN i get a ppp0 interface. So route would do the trick.

But i was wondering if there's an app that helps you manage that visually. Didn't Steve Jobs say: "There's an app for that" ? :)