App for MAC - Database

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndreKoekemoer, Feb 27, 2014.

1. AndreKoekemoer macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for a database app/software that could do the following:

- Contain all information of my clients
    - Need to be able to link specific .pdf files to each individual costumer such as their Quotes. Invoices, Proof of Payments, Signed Documents, Email Correspondence, etc.

(And if possible have their event automatically added to a calendar when the event is selected as confirmed)

i hope someone can help me

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm not that familiar with it...I came from an Excel environment the last time I used spreadsheets in any high level form, but I wonder if Numbers could do this?

I know Excel can, but that would mean buying a copy of Office for Mac...not ideal..any Numbers users out there help here?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're extremely limited to choices in this department.

I'd like look at Filemaker Pro. Its the most popular DB app on the platform

There's also www.4D.com and LibraOffice

I'd check out the latter as it may give you what your want.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

There is also a very basic low-level "flat" database app out there called "iData".

Might be worth checking out, as well.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Seems like Numbers CAN do that: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=683421

Depending upon the OP's budget and technical expertise, FileMaker Pro might be out of the question.

LibreOffice is free, but the database module is relational so the same level of technical expertise required for FileMaker Pro applies here.

Depending upon the OP's requirements for what the database needs to contain, I'd recommend tracking down a copy of Bento. True, FileMaker has discontinued it, but it IS a flatfile database and integrates well with Contacts.

I really don't understand why flatfile database programs have disappeared over the years. MS Works, Legato, ClarisWorks/AppleWorks, GeoWorks, Bento, etc. worked extremely well.

Rather than have a generic flatfile database engine, all we're left with is the added complexity of relational databases or purchasing uni-tasker flatfile database products (eg. DVD collection software, home inventory, etc. )

oh well, maybe I've been in the industry too long.

6. Bear macrumors G3

The risk with Bento is you don't know when an OS X update or upgrade will break Bento. They're better off for going with something that is currently supported.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^Agree, Bento looks like a decent fit for the OP, but FileMaker Pro killing it, means its not a long term viable solution.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You are technically correct, and I agree. But should that happen, since it is a flatfile database, it is easily exported to something that a spreadsheet program can handle... or handled as a single table in a relational database. Bento 4 can be found for $10-$15.

9. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

when I was a freelancer I used Billings Pro, which was quiet good for a small entrepreneur needing to keep track of invoices, payments etc and a time tracker for the iPhone when out on a job