Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLEW700

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Im heading to Mexico in a couple of days and would like to be able to make and receive FREE calls threw the wifi connection in my hotel. What is the best app to do this?

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
I would like to say Facetime Audio but i've found it to be very delayed (only used it twice though)
So i'm going with Viber, pretty good quality imo.

JLEW700

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I would like to say Facetime Audio but i've found it to be very delayed (only used it twice though)
So i'm going with Viber, pretty good quality imo.

I was thinking viber as well. Viber will only connect using a wifi signal, correct, there is no way for it to use the carriers data? Just want to make sure because I dont want those outrageous data charges.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I was thinking viber as well. Viber will only connect using a wifi signal, correct, there is no way for it to use the carriers data? Just want to make sure because I dont want those outrageous data charges.

You could always turn off data in the settings menu. :)

JLEW700

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
You could always turn off data in the settings menu. :)

Seems so obvious but I completely forgot about turning off data. By turning off the data I could use it with a better app like hangouts or someting. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.