App for managing IT inventory (stock)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markiv810, Nov 26, 2013.

1. markiv810 macrumors regular

I am working as an IT Engineer and have to manage the IT inventory, currently I am doing that in Microsoft Excel but it seems lacking in features. Is there any app I can use to manage Software and Hardware procured. Thanks in advance.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

We manage ours with a homebuilt .net web app. We needed to track certain items and do them in a way that would require customizing a COTS DB. So we decided to build our own. I know it doesn't help you with a COTS program/app. But this is something you might want to consider looking into.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

I would look into creating a simple SQLite database (it doesn't have to be SQLite). It's fairly easy to maintain and with the advent of new tools, you do not even have to know SQL to use it. Search for SQL Mac online and you will find tons of helpful articles. My pick is MySQL (for personal use) and my preferred IDE is SequalPro (free).

By the way, I'm sure many will suggest apps like Bento or FMP (File Maker Pro) but you should be able to get by just fine with a database of your own. Lots of helpful information on the web (youtube is always a good resource as well).

4. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys, Bento or File Maker Pro on Mac would be a good idea and as my requirement is just to maintain a log of the items purchased and distributed would not be much work also. Thanks for the suggestions, it was quite helpful.