App for managing related files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flat five, Jun 20, 2011.

1. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

hi

does anyone know of an app (or other method) to accomplish this hypothetical scenario:

-- move a jpg and a txt file into a folder and you'll be able to group them as 'project X'
    -- move a folder, jpg, and .mov into the folder and you can group them as 'project Y'
    -- move a .pdf, .tif, & a folder into the same folder and group them as 'projectZ'..
    --and on and on...
    -- choose 'project Y' from a list and all project Y flies will be selected (and these files won't be sharing similar name or create dates etc.)

i tried doing something with labels which sort of works except there aren't enough unique labels and you can only sort by label in icon view..

you know something that can accomplish this?
    thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. flat five thread starter macrumors 601

flat five

yeah, i have.. automator doesn't have enough options to accomplish this and it also doesn't have a way to reference what's in the folder or which groups you've assigned things to..

some sort of folder action would be nice though because i only need this to happen to one folder (which contains ~1000 files that need to be split into ~50 groups)
    [fwiw, this example i've posted is only hypothetical for ease of understanding.. i know i could easily put everything into their own individual project folders etc so i'm not looking for better file mgmt advice..
    these files need to be in the top level folder that i place them in unless they are already in a subfolder.]

4. flat five thread starter macrumors 601

flat five

so i'm toying with the idea of setting the folder up with small icons etc in icon view then setting 'Arrange By:' to 'none'.

then dragging the associated files into their own little pods..

obviously, still looking for a better solution :D

5. flat five thread starter macrumors 601

flat five

ah.. tags.
    #

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

Yes, was thinking that with a combo of Hazel, Automator and tags, that should work...