App for Page In/Out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dakine17, Dec 24, 2011.

1. dakine17 macrumors newbie

dakine17

I already have 8gb of RAM on my 15" but still manage to page out and it does get me frustrated sometimes. Is there an app that shows an indicator for page in, page out in the menu bar? freememory app only shows how much ram is free.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iStat Pro will show page outs on the dashboard. What apps are you running when you have page outs?

3. dakine17 thread starter macrumors newbie

dakine17

i have stat but would like it running on the menu bar. i do a lot of photoshopping and safari browsing... i have not tried resetting my PRAM or testing my RAM if its actually utilizing all 8gb.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Resetting your NVRAM will have no effect on page outs or memory usage. Launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Do you experience slowdowns or are you just annoyed that the page-outs are not zero?

You could just use the Activity Monitor Dock button to display free/used memory. It's not page-outs, but you will only see page outs if the green space shrinks to zero ;)