App for reading annotating science articles

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Just got an ipad3
I read alot of scientific journal articles and write the odd one too.
I would like to do the following:
Download a pdf on my MBP - move it to a 'reading list' folder - have that folder synced with ipad - have an app on ipad to let me read the pdf, highlight bits add comments if necessary - and finally have the highlighted, commented version sync/copy over to MBP again.

What apps can let me do this kind of thing ?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
You can sync through iTunes, but also they have a stand alone app you can use to quickly transfer pdfs.

You can read a bunch about it here.
Is there a way to make particular folders on my Mac automatically sync with the GoodReader app using iCloud or perhaps even a shared wifi network?

I download many journal articles per day and it would be nice to keep all of my devices up-to-date hassle free.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Is there a way to make particular folders on my Mac automatically sync with the GoodReader app using iCloud or perhaps even a shared wifi network?

I download many journal articles per day and it would be nice to keep all of my devices up-to-date hassle free.
I'm wondering this too - it's why I started thread.
Ive never used Dropbox but will it offer this functionality?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

I haven't tried auto syncing, but they say this on their website.

SYNC YOUR FILES AND FOLDERS! The amazing Auto Sync feature will work with MobileMe iDisk, Dropbox, SugarSync, box.net, and any other WebDAV, AFP, FTP or SFTP server.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Yes I have tried it out. You can sync stuff through Dropbox, open it in Goodreader - do your annotations, save it under the old or new file name, then send it back to Dropbox which will sync it back to your computer.

It works well, if a little clunky. Pity one app can't do it all.

Anyone tried Mendeley for this kind of thing ? I have it on my MBP and use it to organise files, but I don't find it good for reading papers and so have not used its annotations stuff at all (also I'm not sure its then exportable). Ther eis a mendeley app - anyone tried it out ?

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Ok discovered something to streamline the process.

In Goodreader there is a tab called 'Connect to servers'
You can use that to connect to your Dropbox - that way you access your files directly through goodreader without having to bother with the dropbox app at all :D

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use iAnnotate and PDF Expert for reading and annotating all my academic literature. I sync via Dropbox.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Yep, use the Dropbox feature built-in to GoodReader. It seems to be the best solution at the moment (assuming you've installed Dropbox on your Macs).

Diveflo

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
A bit pricey, but worth it: Papers.
Syncs with your Mac, iPhone version. Integrated search for google scholar etc.
plus a beautiful interface.