App for recording powerpoint presentations as podcasts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yixian, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I run an academic society on tropical medicine and am looking to make a series of video podcasts using powerpoint presentations, ie. my voice in the background, my powerpoint being displayed and my cursor and movement through the ppt being recorded and exported as a movie file.

Can anyone recommend the easiest/best solution?

Cheers!

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and later, you can use QuickTime Player X to make a New Screen Recording.

3. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Brilliant, thanks. Have you made a ppt video in this way? Any comment on how well it works?

4. simsaladimbamba

No, as I don't use PPT. I used QT X twice to record my screen, but it has quite a high CPU usage.
    I use Screenflow for my screen recordings, as it does not eat up that much CPU and allows more customisation with the recording.

Just give it a try (QT X) and see, if you can use it for your endeavour.

5. cw2011 macrumors newbie

6. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Look ideals! Thank you, I'll try this now.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I use Camtasia and think it's great.

What sold Camtasia for me over Screenflow is the export option. Camtasia can create an export of an SWF complete with slide navigation which is ideal for burning to CD. This gives viewers the ability to jump from slide to slide quickly. If you have created your PPT with a title on each slide, Camtasia will grab them and drop them into the navigation automatically.

If you don't need CDs with this, then I think either will do. They are both very good and both highly regarded. They also both have trial versions for you to test them.

8. jpine macrumors 6502

I think there is a fully functional 30 day trial version.

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

In the last 2 days, the people I make these CDs for have decided to go with just online delivery, so no fancy SWF exports needed anymore. MP4s for everyone!