App For Sending SMS on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kmcconkey92, Feb 24, 2014.

1. kmcconkey92 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I have scoured the internet looking for applications that allow me to send SMS text messages from my Macbook Pro, using MY MOBILE PHONE NUMBER; not a new number that the program issues to me.

My situation is that I am always doing work on my computer and I need to be able to send text messages to my employees, as well as various other people. Since I am already on my Mac, it would be a lot faster and efficient for me to just switch over to a program and send the texts or respond to texts that I need to, instead of reaching for my phone.

So far, I have not been able to find anything that does this. I have downloaded and tried many applications that will semi-do this, with one of the downfalls being that it gives me a new number or that the recipient has to also have the same app downloaded on their phone, and so on and so forth. I need the text to show up on their phones as my number so that they do not have to store an addition number on their phone for me, etc..

Does anybody know of any OSX applications that do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. jtara macrumors 65816

It wouldn't be possible for an OSX application to do this.

Any VOIP service can do this - you can use Skype as somebody has pointed-out above.

As for other services, it is a matter of whether or not they permit you to use this option as, clearly, there is potential for abuse. (This goes for caller ID, as well, which is why most of the abusive marketing calls you get on your phone are made from VOIP providers for just this reason...)

You won't be able to get replies on your mac - they will go to your phone.

4. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Your carrier may support this feature. I know that Rogers in Canada has a piece of software called rogers one number https://www.rogersonenumber.ca/‎ that allows you to send and receive sms messages on your mac, windows pc, and iPad with your cel number. The only problem is that you won't have the sent messages stored on your phone after. My guess is that most american carriers will offer something similar.

:confused:

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The only thing I've seen like that is with a jailbroken iPhone and the tweak "Remote Messages". It connects to the Messages app on your iPhone via wifi.

6. Enzedder macrumors member

Type2Phone?

I use Type2Phone for sending texts while my iPhone is charging beside my Mac, pretty sure it works on other BT phones too?
    Probably doesn't do everything you need and still requires the final press of the Send button on the phone (limitation of iOS) to submit but sure makes it easier sending a long text. Unfortunately incoming texts are not displayed via this software, I use Phone Amego for that.

HTH

7. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

One option is to use an email program such as Outlook, Mail or Thunderbird. In the To field, you enter the phone number, followed by the mobile operator's domain, just like an email address. For example, an SMS to a Virgin Mobile customer would be 2125551212@vmobl.com.

I used this set-up for years to exchange text messages with my wife before I added SMS to my plan. Sometimes we still use it.

Whether it's practical for you depends partly on whether you provide your employees with phones. If so, then you have only one operator's domain to track down. If not, or if the non-employees use a lot of different operators, then this set-up becomes impractical.

Good luck.

8. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

If you have AT&T as your carrier you can use the AT&T Messages website to send and receive texts, to/from your number of course. Can listen to voicemail as well. It's a little slow and clunky but it does work.

If you have an Android phone you can use Airdroid. I use that and it works very well, including getting notified on my mac (browser notifications). Don't need to touch phone.

Michael

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You don't say what phone you have (I guess one could ASSUME iPhone but that may not be the case). In my case, I have a Moto X and Motorola has a nifty app on their phones called Motorola Connect with a plugin for Chrome that allows you to see battery status, missed calls and text messages in a pop up in Chrome. It also allows you to reply to text messages from the Chrome plugin.

10. cbaty08 macrumors newbie

Might I suggest MightyText..?

If you use Chrome, there is an extension.. I use it everyday on both my PC and Mac.